Chapter Fifteen: The Supplicant (part 2)

POV: Henry

Contrary to my assumption that we'd hold off on sex after last night, I fucked Maya four times this morning.

In bed, when she woke up.

On the counter, before breakfast.

Against the couch, like I wanted to do the first night I brought her here.

And in the shower, with her hands pinned to the wall above her head.

But we both have a limit. And despite Maya's insistence that she can take more, I know she's sore.

I don't want to wear her out just yet.

Not when she's promised to stay.

To be mine.

And besides, we have somewhere to be.

"Pack your things. We're going on a business trip."

Maya stops eating, her fork hovering halfway between her bowl of pasta and her mouth.

"We...what? Since when?"

A slight pang of guilt wracks my chest.

In truth, I was planning on going alone. But that was before Maya agreed to stay. If she's going to be a permanent part of my life, then there's no reason to keep her separate.

Besides, this business meeting happens to take place at a charity gala in Memphis, where her alma mater is located. And it would be nice to see her in a dress again.

She'll also provide a welcome distraction from the more serious goal of the trip: avoiding a gang war.

I might've killed Bianchi, but his successor in New York isn't exactly thrilled.

The Vitale's have kept up their part of our deal and sided with us, but they won't stay placated for long.

Which is why I'll need all the help I can get.

And this gala is a perfect opportunity to bring a few more major players to my side.

If all goes to plan, it's not just the Mob that will benefit.

"It's been in the works for a few days," I admit.

"Well, how many days will we be gone?" Maya continues, "What's the weather like there? And where even is 'there'?"

"It shouldn't take more than the weekend, but pack for a week just in case. And make sure you bring a dress. We'll be attending a charity gala at the Orpheum."

She narrows her eyes.

"The Orpheum, as in, the Memphis Orpheum?"

"That's the one."

"Oh my gosh! I've never been before, but it's supposed to be super nice. I gotta go pack."

She hurries off to our room, and, true to her word, returns an hour later with a suitcase full to bursting.

We head to the airport with Trevor, who's made a full recovery, soon after.

To my surprise, Maya throws her arms around him the moment he arrives.

"I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Oh, please," he teases. "It'll take more than a couple bullets to put me out of commission."

They continue to talk on the way to the airport, leaving me feeling surprised and elated and a little bit like a third wheel in my own family.

It's...comforting.