Chapter Seventeen: The Interlude (part 2)

POV: Henry

When we return to the party, the small talk and gossip of the evening has shifted into subtle threats and guarded conversations.

The next hour passes in a blur of business proposals, requests for favors, and lucrative offers. For all intents and purposes, it could be just another day at the Ironside club.

Of course, half the people in attendance here have no discernible ties to the criminal underworld, but they're not immune to wanting a piece of the action. Dark money finances more than a few innocent business ventures, after all.

"I'll be in touch," I nod, to a short balding man who's been rambling on about his nightclub for the past fifteen minutes.

He wipes his brow and nods to the point of bowing, then scurries off.

Good riddance.

Most of the people I've spoken with tonight were a waste of time. But it's well worth attending this event for the few people who aren't.

Aside from the major deal I orchestrated earlier, there are several new business ventures I'll be investing in. My father never bothered to work with outsiders, but that was his weakness, not mine.

"Can we talk?"

The familiar voice draws my attention, and I turn from my seat facing Maya to see who wants to proposition me now.

Fuck.

Sofia Vitale stands by our booth, her arms crossed in irritation.

And after the deal I orchestrated with her father, I have a feeling I know why.

To my surprise, Maya squeezes my hand reassuringly.

"Why not," I sigh.

"Privately," Sofia adds.

Yeah, she's definitely going to try and kill me.

I turn to Maya, expecting her to shake her head no, but she shrugs.

Leave it to Maya to give someone like Sofia Vitale the benefit of the doubt.

Then again, isn't that why I fell in love with her in the first place?

She's too good for me.

"You have five minutes," I say, to Sofia.

Among other things, it's not appropriate for me to speak with Angelo's daughter alone. It would be too easily for someone to get the wrong idea. Someone like Enzo, who's lurking around here somewhere, for example.

"It'll only take two. Hurry up."

Sofia starts off for the bar, leaving me to follow.

"Be right back," I promise, placing a kiss on Maya's cheek.

When I reach the corner of the bar where Sofia is standing, she uncrosses her arms and reaches one out towards me.

I half expect to find a gun pointed at my chest, or at the very least a knife.

What I don't expect is an antique engagement ring.

And a familiar one, at that.

"This is yours," she says simply. "Take it, I don't want it."

For a moment, all I do is stare at the ring in her hand, my expression blank.

In truth, I'd almost forgotten my mother gave her the family heirloom. But seeing the ring again is the least of my concern. Seeing Sofia Vitale, who just got engaged to a Memphis crime lord courtesy of yours truly, being nice?