Chapter Eighteen: The Proposition (part 3 - spicy🔥)

POV: Maya 

I lock the door behind Mrs. Wallace the second she's out of the room.

It might be considered weak by some, but I've already decided to forgive her as long as she changes her behavior going forwards.

Henry, on the other hand, might not be so willing to forgive.

But how am I supposed to explain to him everything she just told me? And is it even my place to give away her secrets like that? What if she wants to tell him herself?

Then again, maybe I won't have to.

The sound of the bedroom door opening confirms my suspicions.

Henry might've made it look like he was leaving me alone with his mother, but I have a feeling it didn't stop him from listening in on our conversation.

What can I say? I can't exactly call it overprotective given that I was literally kidnapped.

Especially now that he's asked me to marry him.

"Henry," I say, forcing a smile onto my face as he rounds the corner. "She's gone now."

"I know," he admits, cutting my halfhearted reassurance short. "I heard everything."

I can't help but wince. "Everything?"

His steel-blue eyes meet mine, and I know that it's true.

"All of it," he confirms.

"And are you...okay?" I ask, my voice soft with worry.

To my surprise, his perfect lips twitch with amusement.

"I'm fine. She may not have told me about her past, but I've had my suspicions for years."

Of course he knew.

After all, Trevor ran a full background check on me the minute I agreed to fake-date him. I'm sure the only reason he hasn't confronted his mother on her past was out of respect. Not that she did a very good job of earning it, given that she didn't respect her own son's decision to marry someone not of her choosing.

"I guess I should have known," I admit.

He shakes his head slowly. "You had no reason to suspect that. I should have done a better job protecting you from her...behavior."

"Well, that was sort of the point of our agreement, remember?" I tease. "You know, fake fiance and all."

His eyes flash with hunger.

"Not anymore."

"No," I admit, "Not anymore."

He steps closer, and my skin prickles with anticipation.

"You sure you still want to marry into this family?" he asks, "I won't hold it against you if you change your mind."

Oh, hell no.

I'm not letting anyone scare me away from him.

Especially not after everything we've been through together.

"Nice try, but I'm not going anywhere."

"Good," he says, stepping closer. "Because my plans for tonight involve both of us."

Butterflies take flight in my stomach.

That's right.

We just got engaged after all.

And now that we're alone, I'm not going to waste the opportunity to properly celebrate.

Especially now that I can call Henry my fiancé.