Chapter 9

"I didn't kiss you."

I took my ID back from his hand gently, afraid that he'll use his patient card on me. "It wasn't me." Umayos ako ng tayo, inayos ko rin ang unipormeng bahagyang nagusot.

He remained smirking. "Then who was it, Miss Nurse? If it was not you, then who?"

"I'm Mauve, twenty-seven years old and a registered nurse. It was the student nurse Mauve who kissed you. We are different people," paliwanag ko.

Because what else could I say? Hindi naman bata ang Hapon na 'to para mapaikot ko sa mga kasinungalingan.

"Really? After you were gone like a bubble, this is what you're going to tell me?" He clicked his tongue. "You've been a thief since the first day we met. You stole my eyes, my attention, my heart, and my first kiss. Look at you now, still stealing my breath away."

I was dazed for the next minute. I shook my head to get my focus back. "I'll take your blood pressure now, sir. Please sit comfortably."

He chuckled at my avoidance. "You're still cold, and nonchalant, and grumpy . . . and pretty."

Mariin akong napapikit. Hindi ko ipinahalatang nayayamot na. Sa halip, sinimulan ko na ang trabaho. Getting the blood pressure should be the easiest part of my work, but not if it's him.

"Now before I take your blood pressure, sir. I need to ask you some questions."

"I didn't do any activity, I didn't run. I was just sitting on my bed for an hour before you came." He smiled. "I don't feel any pain right now nor any difficulty in breathing."

This man really spent half of his life getting checked. I almost thanked him for cooperating with me. Sa tagal niyang pabalik-balik sa ospital, nakabisado na niya ang tinatanong ng mga nurse. He's the type of patient every nurse would be happy to have—except for me. Hindi ko pa rin hinayaang makatakas ang nagpupumilit na ngisi. "Thank you, sir. Please relax your arm on the table."

As if it's a sin to blink, he kept his eyes locked on me. Nasa lamesa na ang braso niya ngayon kaya nagsimula na ako. It felt like a flashback when he took the diaphragm of the stethoscope and placed it on his chest. I didn't like what I felt upon hearing his heartbeats again.

"Isn't it cool? This heart beats as fast as mine did when I first saw you."

Back then, it would comfort me. But why do his heartbeats pain me now? Of course, you know, Mauve. You know why.

"I-I'll start now, sir. Stay relaxed and please don't talk yet because it might affect the result."

Animo'y nahimigan niya na seryoso na ako. He used his other hand to cover his mouth and waited for me to finish.

"How am I doing?"

"One hundred twenty over eighty-two blood pressure, that's normal . . ."

"Maybe because I'm happy to see you again after all these years. It was such a long time. I didn't even bother to look after you then suddenly, we met. That's a whole description of being destined, don't you think?" Humirit pa siya.

I faked a chuckle. "Thank you for your cooperation, sir. But have you gotten an anesthesia?"

"No."

My lips rounded as I nodded. "Then it's not anesthesia side effect. You need to rest, sir. It's healthier to dream asleep than dream awake." Sarkastiko akong ngumiti, hindi na nagpipigil. Kung irereklamo niya ako sa pagiging unprofessional, irereklamo ko siya sa pagiging mapang-asar. Though it's a given loss.

Tumawa ang lalaki. "I meant everything I said."

"Sure you did." Nang matapos kong maibalik sa kaniya-kaniyang lalagyan ang mga gamit ay saka ko na lang siya hinarap ulit. "I have to leave now, sir, do you have any concern?"