Chapter 47

"I'll marry Heaven."

The three words kept echoing inside my head. Even though we have left Dolce Casa, I'm still stuck at the conversation Yuri had with his mother.

Who's Heaven? Is she the same person I knew before? Yuri's first crush. I thought she was married. Did she divorce? Is she from another affluent family that's why? What does she do for a living? Business as well? What does she look like? Is she kind? Is she caring? Does she love Yuri?

There's nothing I can do if Yuri is marrying. It's not like I have the right to stop him. For sure, he has plans. Maybe he wants a family, a son or a daughter—perhaps both.

And I still care for him . . . at least as the father of my child. I care about who she is marrying because I want the best for him, something I failed to be, and something I won't be no matter how hard I try. I just hope—whoever Heaven is—he's marrying the woman who can love him as much as he does.

I'm okay with that. I need to be okay with that.

"Mommy, what are you thinking?"

I got my senses back when Hiko leaned on my arm.

"I kept asking you questions but you remained looking outside. You were spacing out badly, Mom. Is everything okay?"

He must be telling the truth because I heard no call. "Mommy is okay, Hiko." I rubbed his shoulders. "The view outside is just so beautiful that it stole my attention completely."

My son who didn't look convinced smiled timidly. "I love you, Mommy."

I had to lift my left arm for him to bury his face on my body. His arms belted my waist, still in position until he decided to look up at me.

"Mommy, why did you ask me to leave the office first earlier? Did Yuri talk to you privately? What is it all about?"

Just when I thought I would be able to escape his curiosity, I had to think of the best excuse again.

"Yuri and I talked about . . ."

Pagkatapos ng maikling pag-uusap ni Yuri at Mrs. Suarez ay umalis din kaagad ang ina. But to be sure, I waited until I heard the noise of her stilettos fade away. The gentle slamming of the door and Yuri's goodbye also served as my signal. And as if those weren't enough, Yuri knocked on the cabinet's door.

"You can get out of there, Ms. De Morga."

Inalis ko ang pagkakatakip ng mga palad sa mga tainga ni Hiko. "Come on, love. We can go out now."

"The guests have left, Mommy? Are you sure?"

I nodded. I hate to see my son with me hiding here. What are we? Criminals? I pushed the door open and let Hiko go out first. Yuri assisted him. But when he offered the same assistance to me, I refused. My heels almost failed me when I landed on the floor.

"I didn't know she would come," bungad ni Yuri.

"It's okay." It's actually not. I can't afford that to happen again. "I covered Hiko's ears so he didn't hear anything about you and your private guest," I emphasized every word to let Yuri know that I made an excuse for Hiko. Because if I didn't do that, he would be asking a lot of questions. Why are we hiding from Yuri's Mommy? Iyon pa lang ay hindi ko na kayang sagutin.

"That's true, signore. I didn't hear anything."

"And to be safe, Mr. Suarez," I snapped after my son. "I think we should leave too."

Napaayos ng tayo si Yuri. "You're leaving this early? Hiko and I aren't even done yet, Ms. De Morga."

"About that, I have something to discuss with you. AS HIS MOTHER."