Chapter 53

"You should go to the dinner," I said as I walked him out of the unit.

This is how he ends his day here. He wouldn't leave until Hiko had fallen asleep. Then I'll walk him out of the unit, talking about what he can do tomorrow to make an impact on our son. But tonight, I remembered the call he had last week. I heard Heaven say they have dinner scheduled today.

"I don't see the need for a formal dinner with them. Mom can't go anyway. It will be just the Garcias, my father . . . They want me to come too, but what will I do there?"

I shifted my weight to one foot. "They're anticipating your proposal. With the conversation I heard that day you talked about marrying Garcia with your mother. Yuri, it seemed like you already assured them you're going to marry her."

He grinned. "Naive of you to not notice I only said it because you're listening. I never showed interest in that marriage, and that's why Mom sounded like doubting. I didn't even lay my eyes on that woman for longer than three seconds. Because i-it feels like cheating on you."

Nag-iwas ako ng tingin. Why would he have to bring me all the time?

"Still . . . make it clear to them. I don't want Hiko to get dragged into our mess, Yuri."

He sighed.

"Show up. You avoiding this matter will only prolong what needs to be clarified." Parang para sa akin dapat 'yon. Well, lesson learned.

Huminga siya nang malalim sa ikalawang pagkakataon, tila pinagmuni-munihanan ang sinabi ko. Then he looked at me, nodding. "Fine. I'll show up to clear everything. I'm not marrying anyone else, Maurice. I'm not building another family with a new woman."

"W-Why are you telling me these? Sa kanila mo sabihin, Yuri."

"I'm just informing you about my plans. You're in it. You can't escape."

Hindi ko alam kung gusto ko siyang suntukin o halikan.

"Can I sleep over here tomorrow?"

"Why?"

"Just so I have something to look forward to."

Unayos ako ng pagkakatayo. "Hiko would be confused as to why would you sleep here. He would ask countless questions."

"Right," he agreed. "I bet he rather let his Mr. Roberts sleep with him." He chortled, though with pain etched on it.

Maybe some other time, Yuri. You won't even have to ask me. Hiko would ask you to.

"I'll leave now. You should go inside." Ipinasok niya sa mga bulsa ang mga kamay.

Tumango ako. Para na rin kaming ewan sa tagal na nag-uusap sa harapan ng pintuan.

"Good night," he said as he walked backward, looking like he was waiting for me to reply.

Damn it. I'm back at my 'can't be vocal' era. It's just two words, but I can't say it. Noong nakatalikod na siya at mas mabilis na ang lakad ay saka ko siya tinawag.

"Yuri." Hindi pa buo ang boses ko dahil sa pagdadalawang-isip.

He halted from walking anyway, then he looked back in my direction.

"Why?"

"M-Message me when you get home from dinner."

I don't have to know the details. I just have to know he's safe.

Mabilis ang sunod-sunod na pagkurap ko. Before he could react, I turned my back and went inside. Closing the door, I rested my back on it and felt my chest pounding hard.