Chapter 36

"Addio!" Hiko bid farewell to the boys and his friends. They took the opposite direction so my little prince had to walk towards me alone.

Matamis akong ngumiti nang makabalik sa akin ang paningin niya. You'll never realize how much time has passed until you're starting at the walking kid who used to fit in your arms.

Parang kahapon lang noong nalaman ko na buntis ako. Hiko just turned seven. Siya ang dahilan kung paanong naenganyo ako ni Dad at Tiya Maritta na tumulak dito sa Italya. I was able to give birth with assistance. I was able to raised him with a good environment. That's what I meant when I told Evo I was not just deciding for myself.

For I know that staying in the Philippines won't do much for my son. Malapit nga kami sa Daddy niya, pero imposible pa rin na hindi siya madanay sa nagbabagang galit sa akin ng mga Suarez. Leaving was the best option that time.

Staring at the seven-year-old boy right now, I don't regret choosing peace.

"Mi stai aspettando da troppo tempo, Mom?" He held the straps of his backpack as he stopped in front of me. Have you been waiting for me too long, Mom?

"No. Sono appena arrivato." I just arrived.

"Mi sono divertita così tanto in classe oggi, Mommy." I had so much fun in class today, Mommy.

"Really?" I smiled widely.

"We did a lot of activities and played many games. I won this many candies." He showed me the inside of his backpack.

I ruffled his cloud-like hair and giggled. "Good job, baby."

"I think about giving these to the children at the park, Mommy. I can't finish them all anyway. And cavities? That's eww-eww."

My lips pressed together. "That's so sweet of you Azuhiko."

"Maybe because my Mommy is sweet too?"

I chuckled. Motherhood changed me—no it transformed me. It softened my heart more than any other man from my past did. It cast my wrath away with love taking over its place.

Before giving birth to Hiko, I had this worry that I wouldn't be a good mother. That holding such a fragile being would be a sin. Touching something so heavenly with my sinful hands that swam away from hell felt so wrong. My lips were portals of bitterness and misery. My eyes had lenses that never saw colors but black and red.

But everything changed when I became a mother. I learned how to love in the hardest way to only realize that I have always been capable of doing so—only if I learned how to love myself first.

"Of course, sweetheart. You take after Mommy," I said, caressing his cheek.

Kahit doon man lang ay masabi ko na sa akin siya nagmana. Because honestly, he's a complete replica of his father. Brown hair, soft with hints of waves. His fair skin, hazel eyes, tall nose, and peach lips.

"Are you also staring at me because I'm cute, Mom?" he asked, making me realize how long I spaced out.

"It's your fault for looking so handsome." I pinched his chin.

"Because I'm your son. Mom, pretty mommies give birth to pretty babies." He smiled cheekily.

God. He even got his personality. Sasang-ayon na sana ako nang biglang may tumawag sa kaniya.

"Azuhiko!" The three girls yelled in synch.

My son looked at them and waved his hand. "Addio!"

"Addio!" The triplets-looking like girls giggled. Then they ran their way to their services.