Chapter 33

I didn't waste time and left my unit before the news could even end. Tahip ng dibdib ang nagpatakbo sa akin pababa ng boarding house. Without even locking the door or turning off the television, I raced my way to the next street.

I clenched my fist in rage. I wanted to yell but held back. I realized that I wouldn't be able to grab a taxi so I took the risk. I went back to the unit to get my board. I couldn't breathe just by looking at it. And to step my foot on it? God, it took me an ocean of tears. I was in pain the whole time, shaking, and barely breathing.

"P-Please . . . Yuri, wait for me."

I found myself in the same situation I never wished to go through again. Exhausted, crying, begging, rushing my way to someone I love—with weak knees and leaping heartbeats. This time, I hope heaven will let him wait for me.

"Excuse me po, may dadaan!"

"Emergency!"

The usual scene at the hospital greeted me. Nakisabay ako sa mga nag-aapurang nurses sa hallway.  Wala pang pahinga ang dibdib ko sa pagtaas-baba nang matanaw ko hindi kalayuan si Mrs. Suarez. She just got out from one room, devastation etched on her face. Nagtubig ang mga palad at gilid ng mga mata ko. My walk then slowly paced down.

"M-Mrs. Suarez . . ." My voice broke.

Bumaling siya sa akin. At sa isang kisap-mata, nagawa niyang tumayo at lapitan ako.

"M-Mrs. Suarez, Yuri—"

She slapped me. "How dare you show up here?!" Her voice echoed in the whole hallway. I wasn't expecting that greeting from her.

And while my face was still turned to the side, my tears fell. Nahawakan ko ang pisngi sa labis na init at hapdi na idinulot ng palad niya. For the next seconds that passed, I couldn't feel my skin. "M-Mrs. Suarez, why are you—" I just earned my courage looking at her but she immediately cut me off with another slap.

"Don't you even ask me why I'm acting this way, de Morga! You know exactly the reason!"

My tears began to pour harder. I shook my head. I refuse to believe it's my fault. Tell me it's not my fault. I need to hear that from her.

"What did you do to my son?!" She yelled, louder than the first one. "What did you do to Yuri?!"

I just kept shaking my head while crying. Hindi ko na ata kayang mag-usal kahit isang salita.

"He called me before he got into the accident. He called me crying and it is you he was talking about!"

Yuri called her. And he's talking about me? No. No, please . . . Just no.

"So tell me! Tell me what did you do!" Susugurin niya pa sana ako ulit para ilabas ang galit ngunit may biglang pumigil sa kaniya.

"Ayaka!" Hinila siya palayo ng kararating na asawa. "Ayaka, calm down. You're gonna kill her!"

"I don't mind, Mortimer! I don't mind getting my hand dirty this time!" She's fighting the resistance her husband is putting on to keep her away from me. Yet I only stood there, crying like dumb.

"What are you still doing here?! Leave!" si Mr. Suarez.

And I should've run away and left but I didn't go here for nothing. I . . . "I want to see Yuri, M-Mrs. Suarez. P-Please let me see him. Gusto ko po siyang makita. Parang awa niyo na."

She gasped for air. "You have no fucking right to see my son nor get nearby him!"

"I said leave now, Ms. De Morga. Bago pa ako tumawag ng pulis at kaladkarin ka palabas ng ospital." Nahihirapan na ang lalaking pigilan ang nagpupumiglas na asawa.