Chapter 39

Nagdududa na ang tingin sa amin ng taxi driver kanina. Iyon ay matapos niyang mapuna ang pagkakahawig ng bata sa balita at batang sakay niya. I had to ask him to drop us at the bubble tea shop. Aside from Hiko wanted something to drink, Corazon is approaching and I need time to think what to do.

Kami lang ang tao sa loob at malaking tulong 'yon. Ipinagpapasalamat ko na hindi yata napanood ng mga staff ang balita. Kung nagkataon, baka walang bubble tea na hinihigop si Hiko.

He's seated, drinking his bubble tea as his feet sway above the floor. Samantalang hindi naman ako mapakali. Palakad-lakad ako sa harapan niya, kinakagat ang kuko.

"Are you okay, Mommy?" he asked after a big gulp of drink.

No, I'm not. I'm going nuts.

"Mommy is thinking about what is the right thing to do. Don't mind her." I smiled nervously.

He grabbed his straw and continued drinking the bubble tea again. "Mommy, I think we should go back to the hotel. I'll tell them the truth, that I didn't steal the keys. I just picked them."

That sounds easy. But giving back the keys means meeting the owner to discuss what happened. Hindi ako nagpakahirap magtago kanina para lang magkaharap kami sa ganitong paraan.

"That's the only right thing to do, Mommy. The mister might need his keys. We need to give them back to him."

What else can you do, Mauve? It's inevitable. For sure, he'll ask for Hiko's guardian. Hindi ko naman puwedeng tawagan si Ingrid at siya ang paharapin. Hindi rin puwede si Dad.

I breathed my frustration out and stopped in front of my son. "Let's go, Hiko. We'll settle this."

All that I have to do is to endure. It'll be an hour or two. It won't be forever. I'll suffer for a while, then it'll be over. Matatapos ang lahat ngayong gabi rin.

"Welcome to Corazon, Ma'am."

Nakatanggap pa rin naman kami ng bati mula sa mga staff, pero malalagkit ang mga tingin nila.

My son was brave enough to stare back at them while I ignored their stares. Mahigpit ang hawak ko sa kaniya hanggang sa makarating kami sa Lost and Found counter ng hotel.

"Yes, Ma'am—Ms. De Morga from room 21?"

Of course, they could be waiting for us already. Hindi ko na kailangan magpakilala, lalo at nakita na nila si Hiko.

"Yes."

"Ma'am, the police are waiting for you inside. The hotel didn't disclose your information as we still hope you'll be back before twenty-four hours are over."

So that means Yuri is yet to know who we are. Cool. Magkagulatan kami mamaya. Maganda 'yon, Mauve. Nakakabaliw sa ganda.

"The keys are with me. My son accidentally took it with him."

"Shall we go inside, Ma'am? We'll contact Mr. Suarez right away."

Bumuntong-hininga ako. Umasa ako na sasabihin niyang iwanan na lang ang mga susi sa kaniya at siya na ang magpapaliwanag sa mga pulis. But that's too impossible to happen.

Pumasok kami sa staff room sa likuran ng counter. There, the police are waiting. They saw my child before me. I didn't like how Hiko is being the crime of the scene. The kid has no intention of stealing the keys.

"Good evening, Sir. I'm Maurice and this is my son, Hiko. He is the kid in the CCTV footage. He accidentally took the keys from the floor and forgot to give it back to the unknown owner." I took the keys from my bag and handed them. "I'm sorry. It took us long to be back here."