Chapter 50

Only those who have worn your shoes will understand you.

Maybe that's what hit Dad that day. I was frustrated I couldn't do much to tame them, there were enough people to do it though, but still, only the two fathers in the room found their way to peace.

Dad gave Yuri a chance—at least that's how it felt. He didn't say it in words, but he didn't ask Yuri to leave the hospital. I thought maybe because Hiko was around but he showed up the next day and no argument happened.

Mayroon lang mga kondisyon si Dad.

"You can't stay here the whole day. There's a reason why we are here." That's one. "If you're staying here just because you feel responsible for what happened and not because you want to, my daughter doesn't need you here."

Dad and his words sounded like Mrs. Suarezs'. I'm wearing the same shoes as a mother so it's bittersweet that I understand them.

"You said you'll protect them, make sure you'll keep your word. This is the first and last chance I'll give you to let Hiko know about the truth. If your family harms my daughter and my grandson, even just once, I won't hesitate to take them away from you."

"I won't let that happen."

"I'll give you and Maurice the honor to let Hiko know everything, it's your right as his parents. But do it slow. This doesn't mean I'm giving you the honor to have them. Once Maurice gets better enough to leave the country, we'll go back to Italy."

The incident convinced Dad to go with us to Italy. He said, if it's him the only reason why we are still here, he's finally willing to leave with us for our safety.

I should be celebrating, but not now. Not now that I already told Yuri about Hiko. And I don't know why, but Yuri . . .

"I understand." . . . He just agreed.

Lumipas ang ilang araw sa ospital ay sinuri ako ng doktor. I was well-conscious and showed initiative to get the IVs and the other apparatuses off my body. Honestly, I had this desire to eat something through my mouth. It feels like I haven't eaten for a month. No doubt, my first words after more than a week were . . .

"I-Is there something to eat?" Paos ang boses ko, medyo masakit pa ang lalamunan.

Ang dami nila sa loob ng kuwarto. Tita Carmen, Tiya Maritta, Dad, Yuri, Clo, Hiko. Hindi ko alam kung kanino titingin kaya kay Tiya Maritta na lang.

"I'll get her some soft food," Yuri volunteered before anyone could even answer.

"Ako na," si Dad.

"I'll cook so I can control what I put into the food," said Yuri to convince my father more.

"Do you even know how to cook, signore?" si Hiko. "A businessman's room is never the kitchen." It's obvious that he's still mad at Yuri as he thinks Yuri did something to me the last time we went to Dolce Casa.

Yuri beamed before folding his legs, one knee pointed at the floor, the other one pointed to the ceiling. Hiko scooted away.

"What do you want me to cook?"

"Me?" Hiko pointed at his chest. "Why? Do you think I will forgive you if you cook well?"

Yuri chuckled. "No. I just want to cook something for you."

"I'm not hungry. I don't need you to cook for me."

Naglalambing lang naman si Yuri sa kaniya pero buong-buo ang loob ni Hiko itaboy ang lalaki.

"Don't you want something? Like ice cream? Matcha . . . with no cashews."

Hiko looked like he was being hypnotized. Natatakam na siya pero desidido na i-reject si Yuri.