Chapter 59

Warning: R18

The display at the park has already ended, but there are still celebrations at other places at this hour. Para bang nilulubos na nila ang natitirang mga minuto dahil bukas ay bawal na. It's thirty minutes to midnight, an hour after we arrived here at the hotel. I'm here on the balcony, watching the endless popping of artificial stars rather than losing my temper.

Wala naman kasi akong magawa. Naroon sa kuwarto si Hiko, kasama si Yuri. He wanted some time with his father, probably to ask a lot. It's not a problem for Yuri since we've foreseen this, we talked about what to answer Hiko.

Looking from a greater height, it's heartwarming to think that I've come this far. I'm not talking about the status, not the material things I own or the money I'm earning. I'm amazed I survived those days that felt like they were endless. Those days I said I didn't want to do it anymore. Aging is such a privilege for someone who thought she would die at twenty.

And now that I'm in my thirties, I want to live more. Until my hair is grey and my skin wrinkles, until I lose all my teeth and can barely remember. I want to live until Hiko graduates elementary, high school, and college. I want to witness him fall in love, choose his course, and discover himself in greatest depths. I want to grow old. For I will die soon, but today, I want to live more.

Of course, I want to live this life with—"Crap!" I shuddered when I saw Yuri at the door rim of the balcony.

Him . . .

He's leaning there, with both hands warming up in his pockets. "You said you no longer curse, you just did."

I sneered. "Why would you stand there like a freaking ghost?" Pagkatapos kong irapan ang lalaki ay ibinalik ko ang paningin sa mga gusali. The wind played with my sultry hair. I had to hide some strands at the back of my ear.

Shortly after I turned my back to him, he joined me outside. He held onto the railings where my hands were resting.

"How is Hiko?" he asked.

I side-eyed him. "Hindi ba dapat ay ako ang nagtatanong niyan? What did he ask you? Has he fallen asleep again?"

"He asked a lot, some are too hard for me to answer. His questions are harder than my exams."

I smirked. "What did you do then?"

Nagkibit-bakikat siya. "I answered him to the extent that I could. The rest is for you to fill."

"Is he sleeping already?"

"His butt cheeks are already snoring." Natawa siya.

"You're good at putting him to sleep. It takes me at least an hour to do so."

"That's a Daddy's power," he said, proud that he's a father. "But I was the one who asked you first. How is he?"

Tumaas ang kilay ko. "Ano ba kasi ang ibig mong sabihin?"

"Hiko's health."

"Health . . ." I trailed off so he would give me more details.

"How is his heart?"

That's it. He's worried about Hiko inheriting a heart complication. Kahit ako din naman noong ipinagbubuntis ko pa lang siya.

"About that, heart complications can be present at birth, but some only develop in adulthood," I said. "But he's okay. Wala namang nakitang deviations sa kaniya. He is getting checked twice a year."

Tumango-tango siya bago malalim na huminga. "That's relieving to here. I won't be able to forgive myself if he has one. My precious baby doesn't have to go through that painful path."