Chapter 23

My knees weakened and I could barely breathe. "Y-Yuri . . ." It was a casual call. Then an almost yell when someone pulled me in my attempt to step into the scene.

Dahil sa lubos na panghihina sa nasaksihan, madaling nadarag ng estranghero ang katawan ko palayo sa mga tao.

"Why are you here?" asked, the man.

Hinihingal pa rin at dinadaga ang dibdib, kinilala ko ang lalaki. My mind couldn't work fast. I was blacking out badly. I remained in the state of shock. I haven't processed the recent scene in the first place. Nakatulala lang ako sa mukha niya hanggang sa magsalita siya muli.

"Miss Nurse." He squeezed my hand. "Are you okay?" There was a hint of worry in his voice because I remained mute.

For the first time, after a minute, I blinked. "Y-Yuri." Tears involuntary streamed down my cheeks. Still a little confused, I held his face and surveyed it. "Is it you?"

Kinain ng pagkabahala ang mukha niya. He held my hand on his cheek and nodded. "Hmm. It's Yuri."

Umawang ang labi ko at mas nakahinga nang maluwag. When I finally got back to my senses, I hugged him. My chest could break because of how violent it is. It was tamed only after I heard his heartbeats.

"Y-You're alive," nanginginig kong sambit.

"I'm okay, Maurice," he whispered. His hands found their way on my back to caress it.

I wasn't sure if it was the fear of losing him, or the fear of accountability that I might face. Whatever it was, I didn't let him go until 22:33 was five minutes over.

"I'm sorry. I was about to call to tell you what happened but I realized my phone was inside my car," he explained.

I'm still surveying him, looking for a wound or injury. "But you're completely okay, right?"

He nodded. "I can't explain what happened with your state, Miss Nurse. Let's go to—"

"Where's Yuri?! Where's my son?!"

Ni hindi ko alam kung saan dapat ako dadalhin ni Yuri. Biglaan kasi ang pagdating ni Mrs. Suarez sa lugar. And she's not alone. She came with Mr. Suarez and Yuri's cousins.

"Yuri?! Yuri!"

"Tita, Yuri is safe. He's there."

Mrs. Suarez was going insane. Good thing, Mr. Suarez and his nephews were calm. They saw Yuri in an instant.

"My son!"

Napaatras ako nang lumapit ang pamilya niya sa kaniya. Mrs. Suarez embraced her son who didn't have time to process that they are here. Si Mr. Suarez naman, pagkatapos masiguro na ayos ang anak ay sa pulis na nakipag-usap. Two of his cousins talk to the authorities too.

"What happened, huh, Yuri?" Hinawakan niya ang mukha ng anak.

"Mom . . . I'm okay. You need to calm down."

"How can I?" Taas-baba ang dibdib ni Mrs. Suarez sa lalim ng paghinga. "Yuri, I almost gone crazy on my way here. I thought I was gonna see my son dead." She started crying.

"Mom . . . You won't be able to breathe properly."

"I told you to be careful, Yuri!"

Yuri did his best to calm Mrs. Suarez down, but she hasn't relaxed yet. Hindi rin makapagpokus sa pagsagot si Yuri sa mga pinsan dahil patingin-tingin siya sa akin sa gilid. I found my place at the side, rubbing my forearm to allay my anxiety.

"Mom, please excuse me. Maurice—"

"You are with Maurice?" Mrs. Suarez was surprised.

"Yes and she needs to—"