¹your biggest threat

"Shoto–"

"It's Todoroki."

Two teenagers resided on the engawa right outside the dining room of the Todoroki Household, their shoulders a hair strand from touching. Their rigid silhouettes were painted on the paper-thin shoji behind them; their fathers inside the dining room behind them in passionate discussion accompanied by the comfort of alcohol.

Rin Takahashi and Shoto Todoroki were polar opposites in every way possible.

One girl, one boy.

One warm, one cold.

One kind, one stoic.

"Todoroki," she corrected in a genuine tone that was too sweet for Shoto's taste. "It's nice to see you again after all these years apart."

He did not share that sentiment. If anything, 'nice' was the last thing Shoto saw this whole reunion as.

The heavily gated walls that he formed against his father were only working against him, inching closer and closer to him until he had no choice but to let those walls down.

And an obedient, ignorant girl like Rin was not going to crumble those walls.

"I expect that you are competing at the Sports Festival?" He ignored her niceties. Small talk was useless and tiring to him.

Despite his abrupt question, a smile lit up her face.

"Of course, it's a great way to get scouted by Pros." She gazed at the well-kept gardens ahead of them, observing the rainbow of flowers that decorated the backyard.

Meanwhile, Shoto leaned his forearms on his thighs, hands tightening into fists as he directed his glare ahead.

One was serene, one was tense.

Not for long anyways.

"I advise that you give up."

The silence between them was loud enough for the both of them.

Oh, how the atmosphere felt suffocating.

Rin hadn't done anything even remotely impolite to provoke him. Her very presence seemed to displease him enough.

When Rin had been told by her father that they were having dinner with the Todoroki Family for the first time since she was six years old, she'd been expecting to reconnect with the boy she used to have play dates with while their parents convened.

Alas, it seemed like Shoto detested her, shattering any hope for her to befriend the fifteen year old version of her childhood friend.

"Why would I do that?" She was astonished by his bluntness. "I don't know what I did for you to think ill of me –"

She choked on her words as he grabbed her arm, pulling her close to his face.

" – no, you know very well why I hate you."

His heterochromatic eyes burned into her onyx eyes, the boy close enough to see the stardust that floated around her dark irises.

Rin had been momentarily captivated by the deep maroon discolouration inscribed around his left, icy eye. Shoto traced her gaze only to look away from her once he realised she was staring at his scar. She blinked blankly as he pushed her away.

She remembered the day he'd gotten his scar.

Six year old Rin was over Shoto's house while her parents were having dinner together. Shoto had disappeared from the living room where they'd been playing and Rin had followed him to the kitchen.

It had all happened so fast; the unbearable screaming, the cries that erupted from Shoto's mouth and the hurried, hushed reassurances that Rei Todoroki had uttered as she placed ice on his burnt left side.

It was also the day when they began to drift away from each other, her father keeping her away from their family after seeing what Rei had done to her son. She assumed it was because he'd deemed their household as not being a safe place for his only child. Not to mention that her family was going through their own troubles, her mother having passed away the year she turned seven.

As for the reason why Shoto suddenly despised the very stardust that comprised Rin Takahashi, she didn't 'know very well' of the reason.

"I really don't know why you hate me." She frowned.

He let out a frustrated sigh.

"Just lose, Rin." Her eyebrows furrowed.

Rin turned away from him, Shoto carefully watching her every move.

He took a good look at the girl before him – the way her posture was perfectly straight, the way her dead straight hair was positioned to cascade down her back. In all the years he'd known her, she never seemed to have a single hair out of place, never caught with a hunch nor an ugly expression on her symmetrical features.

Rin Takahashi was gorgeous. But gorgeous in a way that synthetic grass always makes a garden look neat and tidy – because it is superficial.

"If you want to win, then you will just have to beat me." He wasn't expecting such a response from the normally passive girl. "You're the golden child of the Todoroki Family, it shouldn't be that hard, right?"

He leaned back onto his hands.

'Golden child': how he despised that name. It was like a title branded on his back that itched and burned every time someone reminded him of how 'perfect' he was.

Being called 'perfect' was a backhanded comment to him, that he was the very monster that his father had been trying to breed for his own motive.

In contrast, Rin was perfect in every way and she wore that badge like it was the highest of honours. Yet, Shoto only saw her as repulsive.

"Beating you isn't the problem – but it would be easier if you comply in the first place." His voice was controlled and baritone. "Trust me: losing to me is the least of your problems."

Losing to Shoto publicly was a massive deal. Rin was an overachieving perfectionist who was obedient to her father's wishes, she couldn't just 'give up' when her father's reputation was on the line.

"Then consider me your biggest threat at the festival."

She suddenly stood up, straightening out the silky fabric of her dress before turning to the rice paper doors.

"You'll regret this." He warned. "Then you'll be wishing you trusted me."

Rin halted, her fingers delicately resting on the rice paper shoji.

"It's not kind to demand such a troublesome request without giving ample explanation, no?"

"I can't give you an explanation." He seethed through his teeth.

She shook her head, "you say that I should trust you, but you refuse to give me a simple answer. So, clearly the trust isn't mutual. Trust goes both ways."

Shoto's eyes narrowed at her as she slid open the shoji, her honest words actually prodding a nerve.

All he could think was that Rin was an obedient little girl who couldn't see how awful of a person her father was. 

✩࿐  

a/n: I'm back everyone !!!!

The long awaited Todoroki x oc fanfiction is here yippee! 

I released it a day earlier than I said I would because I'm busy tomorrow. So, better early than later, no? 

As per usual, I'll be updating a few chapters at once, six chapters (plus a quirk profile) to be exact. While you wait, you can check out my Bakugou x OC duology , or my Midoriya x OC book <3

I hope you guys enjoy the new book (it will be a long one heheh I'm excited). 

<3 Celeste