²⁹when will he get burned?

Life continued on uneventfully for Rin as Christmas, New Years and the first few weeks of the last semester passed by.

Although Shoto offered for her to stay with him and his family during Christmas and New Years, she gratefully declined and stayed with Jirou's family since her parents had invited her over for the holidays. Of course, she did spend time with Shoto during the winter break, having gone to a shrine with him on New Years and on a couple of dates.

Meanwhile, Rin hadn't heard a peep from her father, nor any intel from Enji regarding Ryu's whereabouts. And, as instructed by Enji, Rin left all the investigating up to him and the Commission, deciding to focus on her schooling and spending time with her friends. So, she rarely saw Enji those days.

It wasn't until work-studies were back into effect that Rin, alongside Shoto, were once again extended an invitation to work with Endeavour.

The Number One Hero sent a displeased look at the trio standing before him on the sidewalk, straining to exchange a friendly greeting to Shoto and his two classmates.

"Because Shoto asked, I gave my permission reluctantly, but I wished Shoto and Rin came on their own." Enji glanced around, "where's Rin anyway?"

After hearing her name, the said girl stepped out of the bus last. Her eyes were barely open as she sleepily yawned, simultaneously attempting to smooth out her frizzy hair. She practically dragged her hero suit case and her backpack out of the bus while the four men stared at her in dismay.

"If you gave permission, then don't complain." Shoto stoically retorted to Enji, reaching over to Rin to smooth her hair out properly.

He routinely grabbed Rin's briefcase so she could put her backpack on, ignoring Enji and Bakugou who were already arguing while Midoriya bowed politely to Enji, thanking him for letting them work with him.

Shoto let out an amused chuckle seeing the chaos that was already beginning, glancing back at Rin who tiredly latched onto his arm with a small smile on her face.

✩࿐  

Rin stood beside Enji, her uniform slightly dishevelled after she helped Enji capture and arrest the villain Starservant who'd been quick to terrorise the city they had arrived only an hour ago.

She was used to overseeing the arrests Enji assisted in, so she'd automatically stayed by his side until the police drove off. When they'd turned around, they saw Shoto, Midoriya and Bakugou were meeting Hawks, the Number Two Hero.

"What do you want, Hawks?" Enji asked, a bit grumpy due to his unexpected arrival.

Hawks sent Rin a sweet smile as a greeting before turning to Enji.

"I don't want anything, but Endeavour..." Hawks rummaged through his jacket and pulled out a familiar mauve book. "Have you read this book?"

'Meta Liberation War.'

Rin's eyes immediately connected with Shoto's, the two exchanging a knowing look.

It was the book Shoto and Rin had found in Ryu's office.

"What about it?" Enji asked obliviously.

"Well, it's gotten pretty popular recently. It's from a long time ago, but it has predictions about the present." Hawks flickered to hers before he spoke. "'If you give freedom to a limited number of people, then the negative consequences will go to the others.'"

Rin raised a brow as the dark expression on Hawks' face lightened before he lightly chucked the book to her, Rin haphazardly catching it as the Number Two Hero turned his attention back to the Number One Hero.