The War Legend Episode One

There was a time when the social order was very different from what it is today.A great deal of power was held by kings and other heads of state. In the hierarchy, the noble oligarchs were next in line, faithfully attending to both the king's reports on internal matters and their tax obligations to the sovereign administration. It was mandatory for them to serve in the King's army for at least twenty years, even during times of peace.Following the King and other heads of state, the oligarchs occupied the second position in the socioeconomic hierarchy. The noble oligarchic class was granted the privilege to govern their own territories, as long as they remained loyal to their ruling dynasty.

The rest of the world's population is made up of the working class and the peasantry. The peasants' frustration grew as they realized that they were not receiving any social benefits in return for their payment of income taxes to both the local and central governments. Despite serving in the armies of their Lords or Kings, they still endured economic discrimination. However, the working class received more concessions in exchange for paying income taxes to the government as a whole. While it was possible for a few individuals to ascend to the status of land-owning oligarchs through their service in times of war, this exceptional occurrence was extremely uncommon. Working-class individuals who did serve tended to be in reserve because wars at the time were not frequent. Global leaders chose to steer clear of conflict due to its costly nature, significant time commitment, and the potential loss of skilled soldiers. Additionally, conflict would put a strain on the resources of the country, as well as on its citizens. In conclusion, conflicts can ultimately lead to the secession of territory and the decay of power, ultimately causing a profound and disruptive transformation in the social fabric of the region. The sociopolitical fabric described here was prominent throughout ancient history until the emergence of the continent of Ishtar on the global stage. 

Their order was similar to that of the rest of the world, but they've largely been excluded from global politics. Ishtar comprised multiple neighboring kingdoms, forming a continent that required unanimous consent to establish its global influence. However, this remarkable feat was not achieved until the rise of totalitarian social orders. Ishtar was the captivating land that hosted not one, but two remarkable and thriving kingdoms: the majestic Achaemenid Empire in the east, and the magnificent Kingdom of Fiore in the west. These two realms stood as shining examples of wealth and prosperity in their respective regions. The Achaemenid Empire exerted itself on a global scale through its military campaigns and the extension of its borders. As long as their leaders agreed to welcome the influence of the Shahanshah and his satraps, every territory they conquered was gracefully restored to its antebellum status. The Shahanshah or for short, the Shah, was the country's head of state. With an iron fist, he wielded great power over his governors, ministers, and noble oligarchs known as Satraps. His influence extended far beyond his borders, especially to neighboring countries like the Armenian Kingdom of Bellum. As the name indicates, the Achaemenid House was the ruling dynasty of the empire. Legend states they were descended from Achaemenes I, the founding Shah of the Achaemenid state 400 hundred years ago. But historians of that era disputed that claim, citing the state's vassalage to the ancient Median Empire. The commonly accepted ancestor of the Achaemenid line was Cyrus the Great. He started his political career as a military governor of Persis, the origin of the Achaemenid Empire. 

Eventually, he became so powerful that the Medians were paranoid about a potential conspiracy against them. So they tried to limit his authority through an arranged marriage to the niece of the Median King. Unfortunately, Cyrus turned the conspiracy on its head when he had a son, whom he named Darius. With the birth of his great-nephew, the Median King's global clout was diminished, angering him. Thus, war between the vassal and its overlord was inevitable. Both sides gathered their armies for a potential invasion by the enemy. Upon learning about the publicized assassination attempt on his wife and son while he was out hunting one morning, Cyrus wasted no time in pointing fingers at Media, accusing them of exploiting the situation to intimidate and manipulate him into surrendering his power. After the Medes refuted his accusations, the Persian leader himself spearheaded a retaliatory campaign, venturing deep into the heart of Median territory. Cities who did not surrender to him were ransacked of their individual wealth. In addition, almost all of their inhabitants were enslaved by Cyrus' generals. They steamrolled through the ancestral heartland of the Median Empire, Media, with brutality. Satrapies formerly loyal to the Median central government turned against it and defected to the Persians. In a matter of weeks, the majestic capital city of Samarkand found itself under a relentless siege that lasted for months, leaving its inhabitants deprived of the most basic necessities: food, water, and financial resources, all of which were once abundant in the surrounding rural countryside. The Median king fought valiantly, but he was arrested then sent to kneel for mercy from Cyrus. He was forced to apologize for trying to kill his own niece and great-nephew in public. By sparing his life and sentencing him solely to a life imprisonment, the King took a momentous decision. He made the decision to abdicate his position as the ruler of Media and, at the same time, bring about the dissolution of the Empire that he had once governed, ultimately handing it over to the Persians.