Chapter 1: Origins

Rest in Peace, Kevin Conroy and Arleen Sorkin

....

Dark clouds foretelling dread hang in the night sky above the cesspool of crime that was Gotham city, directly above the local theater.

The movie playing that night was advertised at the front.

"The Legend of Zorro!"

We see the doors to the theater open up, and out stepped three people. A family.

The first two that emerged were a man and a woman. Married, and from the smiles they gave one another, very happily so.

The man had striking black hair and blue eyes, dressed in a well tailored black suit.

The woman had strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes, dressed in a dark red dress.

Walking beside them, dressed in a costume of the character in the movie they just saw, was an eight-year-old boy, obviously their son. He looked exactly like his parents, with striking blue eyes and black hair.

The father was giving a light chuckle as he said, "I can't believe you wanted to see that film again, Bruce."

The boy, Bruce, said, "I'm sorry daddy."

The mother said, "oh, leave him be Thomas. He loved this movie so much. And at least it was a great movie."

Thomas chuckled and said, "yes, I have to agree, Martha. Now come on. Let's get going. Alfred should be waiting in the car."

The small family began making their way down the street as rain started to lightly drip.

Thomas was leading them towards a nearby alleyway.

Martha asked, "where are we going?"

Thomas said, "we can cut through here back to the car."

Martha said, "but it's starting to rain. Bruce is tired."

Thomas said, "don't worry, it won't be long. It's a shortcut."

Martha said, "well, sigh, okay, keep up Bruce."

Bruce said, "okay mommy."

Bruce walked with his parents through the alley. But the family didn't realize which alley they had gone down.

As they walked along, there was a rusted sign they failed to see that read, "Crime Alley."

....

At that very moment, someone else had seen the Wayne's enter the alley.

A girl roughly the same age as Bruce. She was dressed in a baggy black hoodie and pants, her hair scraggly and short. Her skin was very pale, and her eyes bright green. She had been wandering along the streets when she saw the richest people in Gotham going down that alley.

As the Wayne's slowly approached the end of the alley, suddenly, someone jumped out from the corner with a gun in their hand!

He said, "hold it right there!"

Martha gasped in fright as she pushed Bruce behind her.

The girl gasped and hid around the corner.

Thomas moved forward to shield his family.

He said, "please, there's no need for any of this!"

The mugger growled, "wallet. Jewelry! Now!"

Thomas slowly pulled out his wallet and said, "of course. Here, take it."

The mugger snatched the wallet and quickly pocketed it.

Thomas said, "we'll cooperate. There's no need for this."