Chapter 12: Underground and Upside Down

Batman made his way to the manhole cover Alfred had marked on his map, and jumped down.

As he began making his way through the sewer tunnels, he suddenly began to hear static on his comms.

Batman then began to hear the voice of Barbara on his communications!

She said, "hello…? Hello? Mr. Batman, Sir? It’s Barbara. Sorry for, uh, hacking into your comms, but I need a favor. Some evidence crates have gone missing. Army-grade stuff and no one here’s doing anything about it. So I’m sending you their GPS location information. Use your weapon disruptor on any crates you find. It’ll fry their circuits and render the stuff useless."

As the call ended, Batman was surprised that she managed to hack into his comms like this. He'd have to keep an eye on this one….

Batman called Alfred and said, "Alfred, track down those weapons crates as soon as you can."

Alfred replied, "yessir."

As Batman made his way through the sewers he had some run-ins with Black Mask's henchmen, who were trying to plant bombs under the building. Luckily, Batman was able to deal with the thugs and disarmed all of the bombs.

Batman soon made it to the telecom wires.

Alfred said, "Master Bruce, you are directly beneath the GCPD. The telecom wires should be right under your nose."

Batman said, "good. At this rate, I'll have this case solved before sunrise."

Batman finally made it to the wires and began hacking into the systems.

He said, "Alfred. Confirm we now have access to the National Criminal Database."

Alfred replied, "connection confirmed. You can now perform DNA analysis. I’m also sending over the police file for the Lacey Towers case."

Batman looked over the files and said, "this photo is from the day of the murder. It’s a perfect match. The DNA tells more of the story…. But here’s something the police overlooked. Roman Sionis owns the Gotham Merchants Bank…. And he installed biometric security only he could access…. I got it! Alfred, I have enough information to solve the Lacey towers case. Here’s what happened…."

Batman visualized everything he had deduced….

….

"By now, Gotham P.D. thinks Roman Sionis is dead, the casualty of a turf war. Murdered by The Penguin."

Penguin goes into the apartment with a few of his thugs, looking at the dead body on the ground.

"But I know better…."

….

We see Tiffany entering the apartment, texting Sionis as she did so.

"Someone spooked Sionis’ girlfriend. So he sent her to his safe house…. Which was anything but safe."

Tiffany finished texting as her face was suddenly slammed into the table!

"Sionis showed up later, ready for trouble…."

'Roman' walks into the apartment, gun at the ready.

"And found it."

Whoever is in the chair shoots 'Roman' dead as Tiffany hangs from the chandelier.

"Or so it seemed."

We see that Roman had sent in a decoy.

"Roman’s always been paranoid. It’s probably why he’s lasted this long. He’d sent in a decoy, giving himself the element of surprise…."