Chapter 5

Sophie

I open the door of Chris' studio, taking a step in, a smile crossing my face as I notice him working on a project, fully immersed, not even realising I've entered the space.

"Hey," I step in, sitting on Changbin's seat again.

"Hi," he gushes and I swear I notice his cheeks flush, a moment of silence following. "How're you doing Soph?" He mutters quickly, his voice raspy.

"I'm nervous," I quickly confess, placing my laptop on the desk next to his set up.

"Why?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" I open the computer screen, widening my eyes at him. "You're like actually good at producing and just... cool?"

"I'm flattered." He smirks, pulling my laptop towards him, giving the touchpad a tap, my demo starting to play. He sat back in his seat, bopping his head to the beat, swaying his head to the music.

If I wasn't actually extremely nervous right now, I would probably be laughing at how he's listening to it so passionately for no reason. The playback comes to a finish, and he leans forward, nodding his head slowly, keeping his eyes glued to the laptop.

"So?" I cringe nervously.

"It's good," he smiles. "I don't know why you're so nervous."

My ears go red and I cover my face with my hands, avoiding making eye contact with him. I hear him begin typing, the clacking of keys being the only sound in the otherwise silent room.

"Do you mind me adding some shit?"

"Oh- no, of course, go for it," I try to hide my excitement, but he can definitely tell.

"Too late, I already added something anyway," he smiles, continuing to tap the mouse around the screen.

"I thought so," I chuckle lightly, watching him drag loops around, noticing one he adds in particular. "Violin?"

"Yep," he nods, turning the volume on the loop down a little.

"Oh," I flash him a judgemental look, nodding my head slowly.

"I thought I was actually good at producing and cool?" He snorts. "I did the same for Red Lights, I think it suits your demo."

"All right," I shrug carelessly. "Someone's defensive." Chris shoots a sarcastic glare back at me in response, before looking back down at the computer and continuing to spam the keyboard. I slowly inch closer and closer, watching his every step as he edits my project.

"Here listen," he smiles, sliding the laptop over to me, tapping play. Damn he's quick. I listen to the intro of the song in anticipation to see what changes he made. As the beat drops into the first verse, I notice the changes and let out a small gasp. I look over at him, a wide smile spread across my face as I move my head to the music. The pre-chorus quickly picks up and I notice the violin sample start building up in the background.

Why is he actually being so nice? He didn't need to do all this, the demo is incredible now, like honestly better than what I expected. What did I do to deserve this friendship, why is he doing this for me?

"You're right, it's good," I shake my head in disbelief, Chris nodding his head back and my eyes begin watering. "I guess you really are such a good and cool producer Chris." I joke, but instead of laughing, I burst into tears.

Holy shit. I know I'm tired and emotional, but really Sophie... really? Man, I'm so stupid... I just... I feel... fuck why is he being so nice to me.