Chapter 11 Part II

TW: Hospital Setting

Sophie

I open my eyes, my head pounding as I adjust to the light. I lay there, complete silence surrounding me, except for one electronic beep every couple of seconds. I slowly begin moving my eyes around, noticing the machinery around me and the hospital's interiors. I tilt my head to my left, first noticing the IV drip in my arm and then noticing a figure on a chair next to me.

The figure's blurry at first, just an outline of a man. As my eyes slowly adjust I realise who it is and in return, he realises I've woken up.

"Hi," Chris gasps softly, not sure what to say. "Are you ok?"

"W-what's happening?" I mumble, Chris standing up, walking towards the door.

"Can we get someone in here?" Chris requests to a random nurse walking down the hall. The nurse walks in, taking the clipboard attached to my hospital bed, carefully reading down the page. She comes closer to me, checking my temperature and my heart rate, finally taking a few notes down on the page.

"She's fine sir," the nurse bows to Chris, quickly leaving the room, continuing to walk down the hallway. Chris looks over at me, rubbing the palm of his hand along his cheek, finally deciding to walk towards me.

"Sophie," he falters, standing over me. "Is there anyone you want me to call? Your family?"

"Um," I stammer. "No." I notice his eyes widen as I answer and he brushes his curly hair out of his face. "What's the time?" I ask, fiddling with the sheets.

"Around 9 I think," he responds softly.

"Fuck," I mutter under my breath. "Can you call my boss for me?"

"Soph," he exasperates, tilting his head to the side as his brows furrow with concern. "I mean, sure, I'll do it, but... Soph," he repeats.

"What," I rub my eyes, wincing in pain as I touch the bruising along my upper cheek.

"Why are you thinking about work?" He whispers, shaking his head with disapproval. "You're in the hospital, you practically got slammed into the floor Sophie."

"I know, I know, it's just... I could lose my job," I groan, tracing the bruising along my arm. I watch him as he walks over to my tote bag, placed on the counter opposite to my bed.

"Was your phone in here?" He asks, holding the bag up to show me.

"Yep," I respond, giving him a smile for the first time since I've woken up. He nods and reaches in, taking my phone out.

"What's your password?" He asks, staring at my lock screen.

"767443," I reply, resting my head back on my pillow.

"What's your boss's number?" He questions, tapping his foot on the tile floor.

"She's 'Boss' in my contacts," I say, staring up at the roof, the warmth of my hair causing sweat to drip down my neck. He picks up the phone, bringing it up to his ear and he explains what had happened to me to my boss. I eavesdrop the best I can, but I miss way too much context since I don't know what she's saying on the other side. I hear him say his polite goodbyes and he puts my phone face down on the counter, staying completely silent.

"So, what did she s-,"

"Who's Daniel?" He talks over you, his voice grim and his thoughts clouded with whatever had just happened on the call.

"Daniel... why?" I panic for a split second, jolting up right, staring at him as he continues flaring up.

"You're not fired, she just said Daniel will have a talk with you," he mumbles deeply, watching my shaky reaction to his words. "Who is he?" He demands, showing an angry side of him I haven't seen before.