2

"Are you kidding me?"

I dropped my bag in the doorway. "Matthew Bernard Sturniolo, I swear to God!" I mumbled under my breath, narrowing my eyes as he laughed, but the sound was far away.

"What would you ever do without me?" I asked to nobody, standing at the tall window. Walking around his desk, I found his bag and began to pack his stuff up.

Opening the drawer, I found his computer charger and when I finished pulling it out, a pink post it note came out with it. I put the charger in the bag and picked up the note.

"Huh" I sighed, looking at the writing.

I hope your case went well today, Matt and I'm sure it did because you're great at what you do. I love working for you and I'm glad I found this job, and more importantly, you. You're one of my best friends, Matt, so thank you.

Your Y/N

My frown faded when I realised, but my chest pained when I saw my name was smudged. The corners of the note was smudged and crinkled, like someone spilled something on it..or cried on it.

"Oh Matt...I hate to think about what you did do without me" I whispered, stroking the note that I wrote many years ago, that he still had. I cleared my throat and put it back in the drawer where it sat by the coins.

"Do you need help in here?" A voice teased from the doorway.

"Yeah, you can stop making us late"

"We're not going to be late, Y/N"

"We will be if you don't stop with your long goodbyes" I said, picking up his bag and stepping forward.

He laughed and closed the distance between us, kissing my forehead. "I was just saying goodbye to Jason to make sure he was set with me being gone tomorrow, and you as well"

"If you say so" I said, giving him the bag.

"Let's get the show on the road then" he complained, making me roll my eyes.

"Hey! You're on thin ice!"

"I'm scared"

~

"Matt, hurry up! I don't want to get stuck in traffic. What more do you need? We're only going for three days!" I called up the stairs, hitting my thigh.

"I'm coming, would you relax!" Matt laughed, appearing at the top of the stairs. I shook my head and looked at the large box wrapped in floral paper. "Don't smile now, Y/N"

I laughed, turning around and running my hand through the cloth handle. "Jesus, Matt, what do you have in here? It's heavy"

"Your birthday presents"

"Really?" I asked and he stopped in front of me, but I ignored him and pushed aside the fabric of the large cloth bag.

"They're wrapped. Hey, you were going to look, weren't you?" Looking up slowly, I shook my head. Matt smiled and shook his head. "Maybe I should just leave them here and you can open them when we get back on Monday"

"Matt, no!"

"Don't worry, I can't wait to give them to you" he winked and I let out a deep breath. "Now, let's go put that in the trunk. Your Dad is expecting us soon" he said, leaning down to kiss my head.

Humming, Matt helped me to put the heavy bag into the trunk of his car, fitting the box in along with his suitcase and mine.

I opened the car door and stepped in. "Y/N, I get to pick this time!"