20

"Y/N, you have to eat something"

I heard it over and over, and I was still ignoring it. For better or for worse. It comes again, and again as the bleep of the car locking sounds behind us

"You know what he's going to say" she continued. Of course I do, it's going to be did I eat breakfast, but he's not himself now. But he's still there, deep down.

"Fine, give me the damn granola bar" I snapped, grabbing the bar and ripping it open. Luckily, my stomach didn't churn at the sight of it, or the taste as I ate it.

"I'll be out of here then- well, in the waiting room, but not the same one"

"Yeah" I mumbled, listening to her walk away. Her footsteps echo in my ear among the busy sounds of the ICU unit.

My ears still felt numb with the cold , another sensation nudging against the hammering of my heart in my chest. It grew louder when I reached his door. This time, I didn't linger, I walked straight in to the sight I didn't miss. But there's the man lying in the hospital bed I ached and longed for all night and this morning as I went around our house without him.

My heart ticks and swells when I see his face, only to have it squeeze at the remembrance of the stitches and colours on his skin. There hadn't been a second since the last time I was here that my thoughts didn't overrun with missing him.

It's a few episodes of some show on the TV before my eyes close, awakened later by something stroking my hand. I yawned and opened my eyes, looking at the tired pair in front of me.

"Y/N...you're back"

"Matt" I sighed, leaning up to hug him.

"Be careful"

"Sorry" I pulled away, looking at his glassy eyes through my wide awake ones.

"It's okay, come here" he smiled, surprising me with the strength he uses to pull on my arm until I'm back in his. "Missed you"

"I missed you more"

"Did you sleep okay?" He asked against my hair, kissing my head.

"Fine" is the word I decide on, but it was a lie, his comfort was more important. The last thing I want him to do is worry.

"Happy to hear"

"How about you?" I asked, running my fingers through his hair, unable to ignore the bits that are stuck together with blood. All I wanted to do was take care of him.

"Alright...didn't wake up as much...how's the baby?"

"Good, I didn't get sick today"

"That makes me happy...I don't like seeing you sick"

I had to blink hard and long to push them away when I hear those words, knowing that not an ounce of truth could stick them in my head.

"Holly told me..." they're out and not able to be dragged back in. Neither am I after he coaxed me into bed beside him.

"Told you what?" He mumbled in a tired voice. Still not knowing how to say it, I lace my hand with his.

"About giving you my letter"

It pained me each second the cogs slowly spin behind his eyes until the wrinkle between them smooths.

"I remember now" Matt admitted, smiling. "You didn't know?"

"No. She didn't tell me until...your accident..and..."

"What, honey?" He asked, sending goosebumps down my arm.