13

Pulling my jacket around me, I followed Matt through the garage and into the house. He promised more chocolate when we got home from dinner. Although it was great, I wasn't sure how I could it more in my stomach after the meal we had.

I barely got my jacket off, before he was pulling at my hand. "Matt" I laughed

"There's something I want to show you" he insisted, pulling me to join him. Leaving the dark living room, I follow him up the stairs.

"What's that?"

"You're supposed to be able to see Mars tonight in the sky. I know it's your favourite one" I nodded along with his words. I was unable to tear my eyes away from his suit, the one that started it all for us.

"Okay, but I need to use the bathroom"

"Okay, take your time. I'll try to find it for us" I flashed him a funny smile, before rushing into the bathroom and closing the door.

~

"Did you find it, Matt?" I asked, walking through the doorway of the bathroom, going to our bedroom.

"Y-yeah" he responded from the balcony of our bedroom. Did he just stutter? "Let me show you"

"Okay" I answered, and a thought came when I glanced at his phone propped up on our bed. Funny how it landed that way. I wonder when he's going to break it from throwing it on to the bed so many times, I think to myself.

A soft glow of light fell over us as I stopped at the railing beside him, looking up at the sky.

"Okay" he sighed, stretching out his arm to point into the darkness. "You see that bright light over there on the left of the sky? That's it, that's Mars"

"That's amazing" I said, letting out a shocked gasp. Even if it was a twinkling light in the sky.

I blushed and looked over at Matt, smiling at me. For a second, I think I see tears welling in his eyes, but it was gone when I blinked.

"What?"

He didn't answer me, he just stroked my cheek with his thumb.

"You're amazing, Y/N...prettier than any star in the sky" his words are spaced out and his Adams apple bobbed in his throat.

"Thank you, Matt" I said, stepping forward to kiss his cheek. In the movement, something catches my eye. The feeling of his cheek against my lips was a memory as my gaze followed through with curiosity. "Wait-"

My mouth closed as I looked down at our backyard. The trees and bushes were lit by candlelit, candles organised with their flames spelling two words. My hand flew to my mouth and tears started steaming down my face.

They read; Marry Me?

I didn't hear or see the way he got on one knee, but when I turned to face him, the first tear fell. Down my cheek and his. It's unmistakable, the way his knee shakes as the light catches the diamond ring in his hand.

"Matt" my voice was shaky. "Yes, of course! Yes!"

He laughed. "I haven't even said anything yet, honey" he laughed, shaking his head. "Get over here" my legs obliged and walk over to where he was.

"I memorised a whole sleep, let me try and say it" his laugh never failed to be music to my ears. "Have I ever told all of the things I love about you, Y/N? I could write a book, but they all start with how kind you are. You never stopped being kind to be when I didn't deserve it, or when others didn't. I never would've thought we'd get where we are today, but I can't thank you enough for never giving up on me"

"It's okay, keep going" I whispered, hoping my wink is half as good as his when he smiled up at me. He nodded and squeezed my hand, tracing circles on to my knuckles.

"Your my favourite thing in this world, honey and I want to spend my life showing you that . I want to argue cases with me for the rest of my career, because you're my favourite lawyer. I always want you by my side, honey. So, Y/N Y/L/N-" he paused, shaking his head as he cried with a smile.

"Matt" I sighed, tears welling in my eyes.

He cleared his throat. "What do you think about changing that last name of yours to Sturniolo for me? Will you marry me?"

"There's nothing I'd want more, Matt" his eyes were full of tears as I fell into his arms, my lips on his.

"Thank you, thank you. You're everything I've ever wanted" Matt whispered, holding me close. I pulled away and rested my hand on his cheek. "My fiancée"

"I like the sound of that" I mumbled, tracing his bottom lip. He nodded and a tear fell from his eye.

"You know what I like the sound of?" He whispered and I tilted my head to the side. "Y/N Sturniolo"

It couldn't feel sweeter. It felt even sweeter when his lips meet mine. When he pulled away, I followed his eyes down to the box he held in his hand.

"Oh yeah, this is important" he said, opening the box again.

"Matt, is that-" I started, but cut myself off by holding my hand over my mouth. "Her ring?"

I looked back at his eyes and he nodded. "Yeah, your grandmother's" his neck smelled like vanilla when I found myself in his arms again, crying on his shoulder. "I've been on the phone with your Dad everyday for the past two weeks talking about it"

I hiccuped and pulled away, looking down at the ring. "I see why you've been so sneaky lately" I said, wiping my eyes. Despite taking deep breathes, I couldn't stop shaking.

"I'm sorry about that. I thought something was up with you, guessed you noticed. I didn't mean to, but I couldn't let you find out and spoil what I planned for you" he mumbled, booping my nose. I closed my eyes when he kissed my cheek. "Important stuff here...Now, let's see if it fits"

~

A few days later, and it still hadn't worn off. I was hoping it never would. Again, the smile came when I caught sight of the ring on my finger. When I stood in the bathroom, it fell when I called for Matt.

"Babe, have you seen my pill pack?"

"I don't think so. Have you checked the usual spots?"

"Yeah, I don't know where I put it" I sighed and walked across the cold floor. "I'm sure I'll find it"