14

My ringtone opened my eyes, but as soon as I do, the sunlight blinds me. He was always the one to close the blinds after I opened them, something I forgot to do already.

"Hello?" I answered the phone, going back under the blanket.

"Hey, honey. I hope I'm not interrupting anything at work, I'm on my lunch break and I wanted to call. I miss you"

A smile is already on my face when I heard Matt's voice. It had only been hours since I heard it last, but somehow, it was always too long.

"Hey" I said, clearing my throat, knowing my sleep ridden voice gave it away. "I'm actually at home"

"Oh, are you? Is everything okay? You're not sick, are you? Of all times it has to be when I'm on a case" his voice was full of guilt that knotted my insides.

"Yeah, I woke up at five this morning and got sick"

"I'm sorry, honey, that I'm not there to take care of you. Sounds like I woke you. I-" I cut him off before the guilt weighed us down anymore

"It's okay, Matt. I probably add some bad food. I feel okay now"

"I'm glad to hear that. I'll be home Thursday, sorry it's not sooner"

You let out a small laugh. "Stop apologising. It's okay, I'm okay. I can manage some sick, Matt. I'm glad you're not here to see it"

"Stop it. We're getting married, for better or worse, remember?"

"Of course I remember. I only threw up this morning..."

He didn't give me the chance to finish. "You threw up more than once? Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, Matt" I replied, followed by a laugh. "I'll be okay on my own for the next two days until you're back. It's cute how you worry"

"It's what a husband does, honey"

"I miss you" I mumbled, holding more words than I'd know to say. "I know we've done this before, you having to travel for a case, but it's hard"

"It's hard for me too, honey. What are you doing?"

It was only a few minutes until I'm squinting through the sunshine, feeling my lips turn up into my cheeks.

"There's my honey"

His smile couldn't be any bigger when I saw it on the screen of my phone.

"Hi, babe. Don't you look cute? What are you doing?" My head fell back against the pillow as I moved to lay on my side.

"I'm in my car. Told you I was on my lunch, I just had it. I had a BLT and it was great" he said, like I should know this. "You look cuter, babe"

"I think you need your eyes checked"

Matt shook his head, but didn't say anything. Today, he couldn't look anymore handsome and I'm sure I couldn't miss him anymore.

"How was your morning in court?"

His words came out in a huff. "Alright. Not sure where it's headed, but I'll be glad to be done soon. This one's been boring"

"I know, I'm sorry. I can't wait for you to be home"

"Same here. I haven't been sleeping good, the bed is too firm and I'm never the right temperature" he tilted his head to the side, smiling. "I can't wait to come home, then everything will be better"

I missed him, more than I'd let him know . The never words repeated in my head that night when my dinner came back up. Spent with tears, I ached with a longing for Matt. At my worst, I wanted him and nothing else.