4

"What do you want for dinner tonight? We could have last nights leftovers?"

"You can call it, I'm going to refill our coffees" I said, kissing his stubbly cheek.

"Thanks, babe. I hardly noticed"

His smile matched mine when I looked over my shoulder as I slide my shoes back on. I could hear voices as I made my way to the break room. I could hear the excitement, questions and then a name I recognised.

"Can you show to me to Matt Sturniolo's office?" A brunette asked the receptionist at the front desk. With my hand on the break room door, I turned to watch.

"Your name?"

"Nicole-"

"Hey, Y/N. I see you're filling back up too" a voice said from behind me, drowning out the rest of the woman's words.

"Why is that name familiar?" I mumble to myself and watch her and only her. "Sorry, what did you say Luke?"

"I just saw you were getting a refill too. After you"  he laughed, but I didn't notice it. "What's that look for? Are you not happy to see me?"

"Of course I'm happy, Luke. I just- I don't know what I saw" I said, setting my mug down on the counter, along with Matt's.

"Everything okay? You look lost"

"I'm okay" I said, trying to remember if Matt said anything about wanting a soda instead, but he already had two and he tried to cut down these days. I pulled the cabinet open and took the coffee out.

"I heard you and Matt got that big case everyone's talking about. Congrats on that" Luke said, sticking his hand into the drawer after I moved to the side.

"No pressure or anything"

"You'll do great, don't worry about it. If Matt's good at anything, it's winning cases" he said and I nodded, stirring the coffee in the cups.

"We still on for lunch tomorrow?"

"Yeah, Luke. Talk later" I smiled at him, pushing my back against the door and turned around to walk down the hallway.

Holding the two hot cups, I took my time to walk back to Matt's office. Quickly, I saw I wasn't the only one on my way there as I passed the receptionist on her way back.

Matt's head was in his book and he rubbed his tired face. I can see him from the hallway, and my vantage point would only end up being regrettable, if only I'd known.

"I didn't know running your own company was tiring, Matt" The brunette stopped in front of his doorway, and he perked up.

I stopped a few paces behind her.

"Nicole?" Matt exclaimed, happiness covering his whole face. "What do I owe the pleasure?" He asked, standing up quickly and holding his arm out towards her.

"I was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd come say hello. It's about time, sorry it took so long" she laughed and walked into his arms. Something pained in my chest at the sight of it while I tried to remember when he talked about her.

"It's about time, you're right. How have you been? Married Hudson yet?"

"No, we broke up a few months ago"

"I'm sorry" he commented while she looked around at the things on his desk. He looks over at her, and so do I.

I watched as she picked up the pictures on his desk and when she grabbed the biggest one, she frowned and put it down. I only wish I could see what it was. I shook my head, and went to turn around, when she spoke up again.