24

Sensitive topics such as death

Matt's POV
I didn't think I could feel my heart anymore. It raced into oblivion, but it felt somewhere in between my stomach and my feet at this point. For some reason, I stop walking and I just stared at her. Dread filled my veins when I walked through the doors and past people in scrubs, but now, it's covered my whole body.

I rubbed my hand across my face, but it didn't wash away the emotions on it. I don't know why I stood here, knowing collecting myself is far gone.

"Which room is hers?" I asked, and her tired eyes met mine.

Quickly, they go to the closed door behind me. My next breath catches on my lips when her eyes met mine and tell me everything I didn't know yet.

"How is she..you didn't text" I tried to keep my voice steady, but I lost that ability.

"There wasn't much to update" Holly started in a quiet voice, that I never heard before. She was always Y/N's crazy friend, never down to earth. "She wanted to wait for you until they did tests, the ultrasound but...they made her comfortable and they managed the pain. It was a lot of blood, Matt. I'm sorry"

It's been hard to hear from the start, and I looked away, feeling it all with every second. It grew worse when I looked at the door, her words sinking in as I dwell on not being there when she got here. All I could do was nod

The room was dark when I closed the door behind me. There wasn't even a beeping noise. A silence stuck to the walls, and made my body cold. My sudden intake of air is the only sound, save for her soft breaths that I listen to for a few minutes. I was sure she was asleep, and I hated to think of waking her up to this nightmare.

I don't blame her because I have to turn away after a few minutes, realising myself that this was real. My feet began to lead me away towards the door, but I froze when I heard a sound.

"Matt?"

For a second, I debated moving my feet and leaving the room. A shiver coursed down my spine at the sound of her voice. It had been a long time since I couldn't pick out the tone in her voice, and now, I wished I couldn't.

"Hi, honey" I whispered, stroking her hair. My voice shook with the sob escaping through my chest. Her silence was taken away by a sound leaving her lips, creasing her face in pain. I did what I do best and wrapped her in my arms.

Her hot tears with rage and sadness ran down my neck, and the way her lungs burned from gasped breaths. How come we always made it back here, to a hospital? We haven't been together two years and we've been to one three times now.

We should've been having our four month ultrasound next week once I got back from a case I should've won. No, we should've been reading a few more pages from the baby name book tonight, writing some down. Now, we can't. I wouldn't get to install a car seat into the car and place a baby in it. As her hiccups met my neck, I held her tighter, realising I never got to feel the baby kick. I never would now.

An emptiness sat in her eyes like I'd never seen before, and she didn't answer my touch or my voice. Everything was wrong. But she answered my lips when I kissed her forehead. Even if I couldn't hear or see them, I felt the shakes that ran through her body as she cried into my neck. Soon, there was a knock on the door and we both froze.

"Dr Steven's?" My question came, but when I looked at Y/N, she didn't look surprised.

"Call me Amelia. I was at the hospital today when Y/N came in- I thought it would be easier to have a familiar face"

I nodded, but didn't hear a peep from Y/N. I struggled to speak, because what do I say? I froze and looked at the ultrasound machine in the corner and suddenly, I knew why she was here.