chapter 44

through the garage door walked jen.

both kids let out the breath they were holding as they went to go hug their aunt jen.

she was dressed in a casual loose fitting black dress, carrying a vase of flowers that she handed to sandy.

"cate, darling, wonderful to see you again" jen said with a smirk and a wink as she gave cate a kiss on each cheek.

"reece and gemma are running a bit late, they'll be here soon"

before sandy could respond the front door bell rang.

she went to open it, revealing will, jason, and amanda.

"oh my gosh hi!!" amanda immediately greeted sandy with a big hug, and each of the guys greeted her with a kiss on the cheek.

"hi you guys, make yourselves at home" sandy said with a nervous chuckle.

she knew they would see the kids the minute they walked in the living room, but having the kids wait upstairs until everyone got there and then doing some sort of big reveal felt tacky and weird.

sure enough will and jason quickly made their way to the kitchen, or more accurately to where the drinks were, and stopped dead in their tracks upon seeing the two mini-sandys that sat on a couch next to cate blanchett.

the twins were staring at will and jason, dani trying to read the expressions on their faces and dylan trying to place what he had seen them in that they looked so familiar.

amanda walked in to find her husband and will in stunned silence when jen walked in from around the corner where she had gone to grab herself a drink.

"ah! amanda, bateman, will, it's so nice to see you all" she hugged them each, but they stayed still in shock.

"have you met dani and dylan? allow me to introduce you!" jen said with a wide smile as she pulled the twins up from the couch.

jen was clearly reveling in the fact that she was able to show how close she was with the kids already, gaining a leg up on her friends in terms of aunt-and-uncle status.

cate also got up, joining sandy who had just entered the room.

"you can leave that up to me, jen" sandy interrupted, feeling the need to do this herself, "these are my kids. danielle and dylan."

the trio continued to stare between the children and their mother, still silent.

cate had joined jen on the couch, handing jen a beer as she sipped on one herself.

dylan took it upon himself to break the tension.

he stepped forward, closer to their guests, saying "hi! dylan bullock, it's a pleasure to meet you. do i know you from something?"

this broke will, always happy to boast about his work, out of his trance.

"oh have you seen arrested development? 30 Rock? Murderville?"

at the sound of his voice dani perked up, "THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE!!!"

this caused both jason and amanda to start laughing at will, and effectively breaking the tension between them and the kids once and for all.

amanda turned and muttered under her breath to sandy as she made her way to the kitchen, the twins still polite conversation with will and jason about their work.