chapter 20

the three bullocks arrived home about twenty minutes after leaving the restaurant, a home that was oddly quiet without cate.

sandy set her purse down on the counter and took her phone out of her bag, which had an obscene amount of messages.

after making sure none of the messages were from anyone important (meaning cate, sarah, jen, or gary ross, her boss and the director of oceans 8), she turned her phone off completely.

"can you guys do me a favor and if you turn on the tv just avoid the news or entertainment channel, i don't want to see any more about my mysterious lover." sandy laughed.

dani and dylan both nodded, they didn't want to see any of it either and they were both so tired they doubted they would have the tv on.

a thought occurred to sandy suddenly.

"do you have phones?"

the twins both shook their heads.

"right, we're going shopping tomorrow."

dylan was ecstatic at the idea of shopping.

"i can't wait!"

sandy laughed, his enthusiasm never failed to make her smile.

"first things first: sleep. i'm going for a nap, and you both should too, especially you dylan the doctor recommended rest. when you guys wake up, wake me up, and we'll order a pizza for dinner and watch a movie, how's that sound?"

"that sounds perfect." dani responded, she really was exhausted.

the twins took their bags up to their rooms, leaving their trophy box downstairs in the kitchen.

dani went directly to bed, not even bothering to change her clothes.

dylan took a little bit to unpack his duffel bag, folding his clothes and putting them in drawers, laying out his journal and baseball on display on his desk, and hanging his karting suit in the closet.

sandy decided to do something to surprise the kids before she went for a nap. she took the box of trophies they left in the kitchen and brought it to the living room.

she slowly unpacked the box, putting the trophies on the mantle above her fireplace.

she took down the vases of flowers and generic decor from the home goods store, exchanging them for pieces of her childrens lives that she was proud to display.

among the trophies she noted that while dylan had nearly twice as many in his name, the trophies dani did have were of a higher degree.

dylan had about four third place, seven second place, and three first place trophies, while dani had two third place, one second place, and five first place.

sandy put every single one on the shelf.

the largest trophy in the box had both of their names on it.

"Sahara Racing Team Constructors First Place: Dylan and Danielle Smith."

from what sandy could gather, they had raced for the same team, which had won.

she put that one in the center.

she folded the box and put it in the recycling, scattered the removed objects from the mantle
upon other bare surfaces in her home, and made her way upstairs to her bedroom.

she fell asleep in her bed alone for the first time since cates arrival.

sandy was not woken up by dylan or dani, as she had expected, and she had not taken a quick two hour nap, like she intended.