chapter 41

TW// mentions of r@pe

sandy woke up feeling like utter shit.

the events of last night had caught up to her, leaving her not only with a hangover but with a lingering sense of dread and anxiety.

cate wasn't in bed beside her, despite the fact that the clock by her bed only read 6:30.

it was thursday and the her last early morning on set of the week, as tomorrows work day had been condensed to just a zoom meeting.

that worked out perfect, giving sandy more time to prepare for the party she was hosting friday night.

she glanced at her phone, which even this early in the morning was full of messages.

the first one to catch her attention was from sarah, saying that she was gonna uber to set so sandy could drive her back to have dinner.

sandy would have usually been annoyed at the demanding tone of sarah inviting herself over, but she could understand that sarah might still be annoyed with her.

sandy also thought it was stupid that sarah was so intent on meeting the twins just a day before she was set to anyways, but again, she also felt so ridden with guilt about keeping secrets that she would pretty much do anything sarah asked her to do.

she pulled herself out of bed with a sigh, deciding a nice shower to start out the day might boost her mood, and maybe the sound of the shower running would entice a certain blonde to join her.

she had no such luck however, and spent her shower alone listening to clairo and trying to drown her nerves about the next two days in lavender body wash.

she would've been worried about cates lack of appearance, but her leather jacket still sat on a chair in sandys room along with her wallet and keys, so she couldn't have gone far.

after sandy dried her hair, put it back in a claw clip and threw on a brown sweater and black slacks, she made her way downstairs.

dani and dylan were already seated at the kitchen counter, with cate standing on the opposite side.

unsurprisingly, cates breakfast of the day was pancakes.

"darling!" cate exclaimed as sandy entered, "good morning, how did you sleep?"

sandy walked next to cate and rested her head on the blondes shoulder, letting out a sigh.

"i slept alright, better than usual but it wasn't  exactly a peaceful night."

cate nodded sympathetically, knowing the brunette had a lot on her mind.

"what's wrong mom?" dylan asked, picking up on her mood.

"well..." sandy started, unsure of what exactly to say to her kids and not wanting to paint their aunt sarah in a negative light before they even met her, "last night while cate and i were out, i accidentally let it slip in front of sarah that i had kids. she got upset with me for not telling her the truth and insisted on coming over tonight to meet you guys."

sandy fudged the details as she knew the twins, especially dani, would over think everything she said.

"but, we were gonna meet her friday anyways?" dani asked, confused.

"that's true, but i think it'll be nice for you to meet her without all those other people around, she's a very important person to myself and cate and i don't feel right about keeping this from her anymore. besides," sandy tried to cheer up as she continued, "i just can't wait for all my favorite people to meet. you guys are going to love her."