chapter 36

after sandy left, the kids immediately got to work on their chores.

together, dani and dylan watered every plant in the house (there were many), changed the sheets on their beds and ran a load of laundry, and straightened up the back deck furniture.

it was then that they got the idea to have dinner for sandy on the back deck, to celebrate what was surely to be a successful first day of "normal" life for the bullock family.

soon it was 9am and they moved to the library where their laptops were set up and logged on for school.

dani really liked their instructor and appreciated how understanding she was about getting them adjusted to the new curriculum.

after about an hour of getting to know each other and assessing the skill level of the twins, it was decided that despite the significant amount of school they had missed, they should be fine to join the sophomore class the next year after this year of tutoring.

the time went by quickly, and both twins enjoyed going back to school.

at 12 when their classes were finished they moved to the kitchen, where they heated up dino nuggets, which despite being kind of childish was still dylan's favorite snack.

after about half an hour of homework, which was just some basic getting to know you questions since they had only started school today, the twins decided to walk to jen and reece's to ask them about dinner.

they made sure to take a key and lock the door behind them, put on their sunglasses, and started on the leisurely walk through the neighborhood.

sandy lived in a gated community in the hollywood hills with a lot of celebrity homes.

it was a beautiful day, and they passed many people walking their dogs, some of whom gave them weird looks, but they ignored it.

dani buzzed in at the gate in front of the anniston-witherspoon home, and was greeted at the door by a slightly concerned reece.

"what are you two doing here, is everything alright?"

"yeah everything's fine!" dylan responded, "we have a favor to ask you. sandy is at her first day of work right now and we want to make her dinner for when she gets back, except we don't know how to cook, or where around here is good to order."

reece nodded, "come on in for a second."

the twins followed her through the front door and down a long, pristinely decorated hallway to where jen sat on her laptop in the kitchen.

"oh hello my two favorite people!" jen greeted them with a big smile and hugs.

"hi aunt jen" the kids responded in unison.

reece raised an eyebrow at the use of the word "aunt", but didn't question it out loud.

"they want to make dinner for sandy tonight, and were wondering if we could help cook." reece explained.

jen almost had a tear in her eye at the sweet sentiment of the bullock kids.

"of course we'll help you, what's the plan?"

they spent the next half hour or so deciding that jen and reece would make dinner at the bullock home while the twins went to karting, leaving before sandy got home.

dani made sure to thank the couple no less than a hundred times for the favor as they made their way out, but both jen and reece insisted it was no problem at all and they had nothing to do today.

after they got back to the house dylan decided to spend some time in the backyard playing basketball, while dani decided to utilize the piano in the front of the house.