chapter 30

at the track, they met with the track manager charlie.

he was a nice man in his early forties, with slightly greying hair and a mischievous smile.

he was sporting redbull team gear, and said he had worked as a low ranking engineer for the redbull team in his thirties, before leaving to return to LA and take over the track that he had grown up at.

the track itself was very nice and looked recently re done, a contrast to the buildings that surrounded it which looked like they had been there since the 50s, which they had.

charlie was really understanding about respecting sandys privacy, treating her like any other person and not questioning the fact that she had kids with her.

the first thing they did was sit in his office and go over the twins karting history, and he was even able to find records of their races online.

he was particularly impressed with their wins in junior leagues in egypt, like the constructors championship win, when they were underaged.

"so," charlie said as he closed his laptop, "how long has it been since either of you were in a car?"

the twins looked at each other before dylan responded, "three years maybe?"

charlie responded, "well, let's get you started then."

thirty minutes later both kids had been set up in new karting suits and helmets and being led to the garage.

dylan was a little sad that his old suit had been deemed unfit to race in, but he had to admit it was so worn down it definitely wasn't up to the safety standards.

sandy made sure to take notes on the sizes and brands of the equipment they were using, and if the kids liked their karting today, she was going to buy it all for them before they left.

it felt surreal to dylan to be walking through a garage again.

with every second he got more and more excited to get back in the car.

dani was feeling the same way, the energy and excitement radiating off of dylan was contagious and she could help but have an extra bounce in her step as they followed charlie to the garage.

there weren't that many workers at the track on a sunday, a couple of mechanics worked underneath a car while some strategists lazily ran over the data from what dani assumed was last weeks races.

they turned their heads as charlie and the bullock family passed, only some getting a good enough glance at sandy to recognize her but none making an attempt to stop her and ask for a picture.

they followed charlie to the last section of the garage, where he stopped in between two karts, one red and orange and the other black and white.

"alright these are two of the karts that we lend out to people who come and just want to try it out, they're not really high grade racers but you can understand we wouldn't want you to damage any of the more expensive karts...i mean i highly doubt that you would given your histories but it's just track policy."

dani and dylan nodded in understanding.

"the track is clear for the next hour so you can go take a couple laps on these and granted all goes well we can bring you in and put you in the competitive cars."

charlie then called over two mechanics, two twenty-something year olds named cory and darren.

"these guys are gonna be your mechanics for today, they'll tell you when to pull out of the garage and wave flags for if you need to stop on track and when you need to come in. are you familiar with the flags system?"