chapter 16

"SANDYYYYYYY!" a yell was heard from downstairs.

cate and sandy stared at each other in shock for a moment.

cate moved at a speed sandy had never seen before.

cate was already out of the shower, she threw on sandy's robe and sprinted down the hallway.

sandy quickly grabbed a towel to wrap her hair and threw on the clothes she had laid out - black sweatpants and a white button down shirt - before following cate.

cate rounded the corner of the second floor to the stair case and nearly laughed out loud at the sight in front of her, her alarm and concern immediately disappearing.

dylan stood holding the front door open, dani hiding behind him peaking her head over his shoulder.

sandy came running down the hallway, stopping when she hit cate head on, nearly sending them both down the stairs if cate hadn't been holding on to the top of the railing.

"jen!?" sandy said, confusion written all over her face.

indeed jennifer anniston stood at sandy's front door, in a tennis skirt and polo with a tennis racquet in her hand.

"sandy!" jen responded, looking equally confused at the sight in front of her.

jen was walking to meet another good friend in the neighborhood, jason bateman, to play tennis, when he canceled last minute.

she decided to stop by sandy's since her house was in between jen and bateman's, and she saw sandy's car in the driveway, in addition to another car she didn't recognize.

when she rang the doorbell dylan and dani didn't know what to do.

they had both just gotten out of the shower and were sitting in the kitchen, dylan braiding dani's hair when the doorbell interrupted.

they could hear sandy's shower still running and didn't know where cate was.

dani had the bright idea to look through the peephole in the door, where she saw a woman that she recognized from one of the pictures in sandy's living room.

dani really didn't want to open the door to a practical stranger, but dylan had opened the door before she could protest.

jen was about to leave when she heard the door start to open.

she turned around to see two mini sandy's standing at the door.

they looked like deers caught in a headlight.

jen moved closer to the door and they moved further away.

jen did the first thing she thought of. she screamed for sandy.

to add to jen's shock, the first person that came running after she yelled wasn't sandy, but cate blanchett.

then to see sandy come running with a towel on her head and nearly knock them both down the stairs - jen had never laughed so hard in her life.

she cackled. her stomach was in stitches and she doubled over at the side.

soon dylan and dani joined it, spurred by the comedic sight of cate barefoot in a robe with her hair all wet and sandy with a towel on her head and a shirt with the buttons done wrong.

sandy sighed a breath of relief that there was no emergency, but was immediately overtaken by anxiety about introducing jen to the twins, let alone explaining about cate.

cates face turned red with embarrassment.

"i'm going to, uh, i'm gonna go get dressed." cate announced to no one in particular, leaving to put on proper clothing.