Chapter 21: Sick kitty

CHAPTERTWENTYONECHAPTERTWENTYONECHAPTERTWENTYONECHAPTERTWENTYONECHA

               My dad's right. I thought.

 Being sick has its ups and downs. The bittersweet feeling of getting sick: being able to get out of school for a while but enduring the sucky feeling of being sick at home. I reached for my fifth box of tissues and blew my nose. Gross. My face scrunched up in disgust.

 I threw the tissue away and then reached again for my tub of vanilla ice cream. Yes, a tub of vanilla ice cream because when I have a cold, eating vanilla ice cream quickens my healing process. I'm weird that way.

 Luckily, instead of being a strict you-have-to-rest-the-whole-day type of nurse, my dad had let me watch none other than anime. He said that he knows me so well like the back of his hand which is why he's sure that letting me watch anime would make me feel better and bring a smile to my face. And he's absolutely right. I'm in the "quarantine room", where we spend our sick days so we won't be spreading our germs on any other area of the house, rewatching Earl and Fairy and already feeling so much better than this morning. Not only that, but my dad also stayed with me like he does when I'm sick which makes me appreciate my dad even more.

 The doorbell suddenly rang. A while later, the door opened as I was ranting on the male protagonist.

 "Edgar!" I shouted at the TV screen. "You pathetic excuse of a drunkard!" I continued to say the same time that Alexei entered the door. We both froze and stared at each other. "N-no! Not you! I-I was talking to the TV!" I tried to explain, blushing hard because that sounded even crazier.

 "So it is true! Arianne told me you're sick but I didn't believe her," he said with a smirk, shaking his head.

 Then, Arianne entered after him and retorted, "Hey! That was one time! I lied for your sakes!"

 I laughed at them but ended up in a mixed coughing/sneezing fit. Ugh, gross! Alexei approached me with an intent look on his face. He leaned down so that his face was only inches from mine and I raised the blanket to my face, evading his kiss.

 "Ew! Don't kiss me! I have germs," I said, shoving him away. 

 He chuckled, sitting beside me. "Aw, but I wouldn't mind it since it's yours. I missed you though, shortcake." I forgot that ever since we got together, Alexei kept on insisting calling me 'shortcake' and the fact that he's almost a head taller than me didn't help.

 "Seriously, get a room," Arianne said with a huff, her arms crossed making Alexei laugh even more.

 "I'm kidding," he smiled, brushing the hair out of my eyes. "Anyway, where's your dad?"

 "I'm here." My dad's head popped out of the kitchen door and he beckoned Alexei to follow him.

 "What's the deal with the men?" asked Arianne. I simply shrugged to say "No idea". Even I'm curious. What are they talking about there?