Chapter 7: He'swaitingdownstairs...

CHAPTERSEVENCHAPTERSEVENCHAPTERSEVENCHAPTERSEVENCHAPTERSEVENCHAPTERSEVE

When dismissal came, I texted Arianne the news that she deemed bad but before I can step out of the school building, Alexei appeared out of nowhere and walked beside me.

“Hey, do you want to hang out tomorrow?” he asked.

“I can’t. I’m busy.” I replied while texting Giovanni to pick me up.

“How about on Sunday?”

“Still busy, sorry.” I said, remembering Miss Sparks and the amount of work she left.

“Are you trying to avoid me again?”

I stopped walking and face him. “No! I’m just really busy this weekend.”

“Alright, how about telling me why you hate me so much?”

“I don’t—I don’t hate you okay? I’m just a really busy person. And I swear to make an effort about the Senior Friendship Bonanza” – he gave me a confused look – “I meant the partnering event and make it up to you.”

“So, how about we hang out now?”

“I can’t.”

He sighed. “Why?”

“Um…” Would it hurt to bring him home with my dad there? Ugh. I contemplated it a bit before dialling Arianne’s number.

“Did you call to tell me that your dad brought home those limited edition vintage-designed sneakers I asked him to get in Europe?”

“Um, what? No…?”

“Then why are you calling me?”

“I need you to come home with me right now because Alexei wants to hang out and I have to get home because dad’s home already.” I whispered.

“Aw, sorry Cols, but I need to attend the meeting for the upcoming school trip as council secretary and I’m already running late. Good luck though. Bye.” And then she hung up. I stared at my phone. Then, I finally looked up at Alexei who looked at me with expectation. I mentally cried.

Then physically sighed.

I told him that my dad’s home from a business trip, hoping to persuade him to leave me alone and even get scared by the thought of meeting my dad but it only boosted his want to come along. We agreed that he’ll only come over so that we can finally start on that stupid friendship booklet.

So here I am on my way home with Alexei seated beside me on the backseat while Giovanni continues to drive. Miraculously, Alexei sat quietly and I suddenly wondered what he was thinking of.

The car stopped in front of my house and I quickly got out and walked towards the front door.

“This is your house?” asked Alexei with an expression full of admiration. He seized the piece of architecture from left to right.

“Uh, yes. Come on in.” I answered, opening the door that leads to the foyer. I went to change my school shoes to slippers and told him to do the same.

“You call this a house?” he asked again, while we were on our way to the first living room. It’s not that I haven’t had that kind of reaction from anyone before. It happened with Arianne when she first came here and then with Julian, who calls it a mansion. I don’t blame him since for a house with only two residents; it has twelve bedrooms, three living rooms, and other rooms like the theatre room, game room, and the gym in the basement.

“Mm-hmm. Just take a seat and make yourself feel comfortable.”

“What does your dad do for a living? Is he a billionaire or something? Your place is huge!” he exclaimed. He sat on one of the huge sofas and stared at me with wide eyes.