Chapter 5: Circles

CHAPTERFIVECHAPTERFIVECHAPTERFIVECHAPTERFIVECHAPTERFIVECHAPTERFIVECHAPTERF

I was having high hopes that Alexei decided to just skip school or something like that since I didn’t see him at our social studies class until the break but it was instantly shattered when I saw him enter the room for our Literature class.

A few girls gasped and whispers erupted around the room right away while I tried to focus my gaze on the window beside me just in case he gave a glance in my direction. Only when our Literature teacher, Mr. Morales, started to talk did I shift my attention in front. Although, I need to remind you that my life kind of sucks.

“If you all remember, I told you last week that we are going to do exchange lines from a book for today’s activity.” Mr. Morales informed the class.

I closed my eyes and pursed my lips for my series of unfortunate events. Why, of all our classes together, Arianne can’t be here?

“Now, I want you to get a partner so we could start. Be reminded that you have to choose a member of the opposite gender,” Mr. Morales continued while a burst of excited murmurs filled the room.

What is it with everyone wanting such a partnering arrangement? Ugh.

Everyone went to get their partners while I remained seated with my head bowed down. 

“Hey, be my partner,” ordered a familiar voice beside me.

I looked up at Alexei in surprise. But then, he didn’t exactly ask. That’s when I saw his face. A Band-Aid is covering his right cheek and his lips are busted.

 “Come on let’s get a number,” he pulled me by the hand, nearly making me trip. I was conscious of the stares (or glares) and my heart pounded and I found it difficult to breathe. I forced myself to calm down and take deep breaths. I need to compose myself. This is needed in class after all.

Maybe this is his revenge for the things I’ve done, I thought. Making fun of me in front of everybody...

Alexei picked a random paper from the lot. Mr. Morales read it aloud before giving us the pages we’re supposed to read from. The novel we were discussing for this month was A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks, a book I’ve read last year and I actually liked it.

“Alright everybody, settle down,” he demanded. “Mr. Clarke, Ms. Edwards, in my signal... And in three... two... one... ACTION.”

Alexei knocked on the black board, acting as if it’s a door. I exhaled slowly before saying my lines:

“L-Landon,” my voice shook. I definitely cannot act as if I really am Jamie Sullivan, “t-this is a surprise!”

“Y-you look like you’ve been exercising,” I said, looking at Alexei. His look suddenly made me feel insecure, the dark blue orbs that are his eyes staring back at me.