Chapter 6: Finally talking

CHAPTERSIXCHAPTERSIXCHAPTERSIXCHAPTERSIXCHAPTERSIXCHAPTERSIXCHAPTERSIXCHAPT

I was munching on cookies, listening to music, and just sitting peacefully on one of my spots – secluded areas inside the campus – when the right piece of my earphones was yanked from my ear.

I turned to see Alexei put it on his ear and smirked.

“I see you’ve gotten my song reference,” I heard him say while A Rocket to the Moon’s “Sometimes” continues to play.

I rolled my eyes and turned my face in the opposite direction. I continued eating my cookies. Just when I finally felt calm, he’ll suddenly pop out of nowhere.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw said guy bring out a piece of paper and write something on it. When he saw me looking at it, he grinned.

“I’m marking down your hiding places in school – trees, benches, and the like – so I’ll know where to find you.”

I pursed my lips, stopping myself from showing any emotion. Internally, I’m surprised that he still went to great lengths to do such things.

Make friends. Those words echoed inside my head.

That’s what my aunt, my dad, and Arianne keep telling me to do. But I’ve never understood it. How do you make friends? With Chelle and Bianca, it was because my dad knew their parents and I don’t even count them as my “friends”.

In Arianne’s case… well I don’t really know how it happened and I think it’s more of an effort by Arianne that we’ve stayed best friends. So is this thing with Alexei what they meant by making friends? Or is this a completely different matter? For heaven’s sake, he won’t accept my bribe about The Senior Friendship Bonanza!

I may know stuff when it comes to the fictional world of anime but when it comes to reality, I know I’m clueless. I don’t want a history repeats itself episode in my life. I don’t need or want heartbreak like that again.

But… I’m tired of this feeling. Of uncertainty… The what ifs… And overthinking.

I do like being alone but… I certainly don’t like the lonely feeling. There’s a huge difference. My million dollar question: Is this idiot worth it?

I still can’t understand Alexei. He said that but…

I looked back at the said guy who is now munching on my cookies and—

“D-did y-you just steal my cookies?” I can’t believe this guy!

“I asked you twice if I can have some but you were so many meters rolling in the deep so I just took it.”

“F-for y-your information, nobody – NOBODY – takes my food and gets away with it!” I threatened and stood up but the jerk just smiled.