Chapter 25: Everything I didn't say

CHAPTERTWENTYFIVECHAPTERTWENTYFIVECHAPTERTWENTYFIVECHAPTERTWENTYFIVECH

Two weeks later, on a cold Saturday morning, I felt like going to visit the music store for new piano scores. Although, I didn't want a repeat of what happened last time so I asked Giovanni to drive me there. I told him to watch out for my text of when to come back before entering the store.

The smell of old piano scores and new piano compilations greeted me. Hank was there and I went to say hi. Hank is this scary looking dude in his early thirties with a beard and a whole aura of a biker with tattoos. But he's actually not scary. He owns the store because it was given to him by his mum. He's also dating my piano teacher, Miss Sparks.

"Hello, Hank," I greeted with a smile. He looked at me with a toothy grin.

"'ey there, lassie. Been a while since I saw you eh?"

"I've just been busy with school and friends." I told him, leaning on the glass counter.

"Friends? Good for ya!" his eyes wrinkled when he smiled.

"Yeah. How about you?"

"Ay ye know how this business is. But I'm planning ta propose to Tamitha soon and I want ye in the wedding of course! Ye haf to be a bridesmaid!" he said excitedly, making me feel excited too.

"Sure! I'd love to. Just tell me when it is and I'll take care of your reception. I'll tell my dad to book one of our ballrooms in our hotel as a gift from us."

"Ay bless ye, lassie!" he patted me on the head before asking me my real agenda. I told him that I need new scores. He gives me the stack of the new arrivals and it took me nearly an hour more to scan the shelves for more piano scores that I still don't have. But it doesn't matter because I love it when I'm here surrounded by music on paper.

When I was done, I went to pay for them all and heard the doorbell jingling, signalling the arrival of another customer. Hank greets the new customer and hands me the bag of my purchase. I turn around and bump onto the other customer.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't looking—" I looked up and saw Seth.

"Ye a'right there, lassie?" Hank asked as I continued staring at Seth.

"Y-yes. Thanks, Hank. I'll get going now." I bid him goodbye before walking past Seth and exiting the store, mentally praying for Seth not to follow. I heard the doorbell jingle again and cursed under my breath before walking faster.

"Stephie!" Seth called. I walked even faster while hearing him begging for me to stop. May I remind you though that I am not a sporty kind of gal whilst Seth is a member of the soccer team so he catches up in no time and blocks my way.

"Stephie, please." He begged, his arms stretched so as to block me. "I just want to talk to you. Please. Just give me a chance to apologize. Stephie, please."

I looked up at Seth, my childhood friend and the one who has hurt me the most. But even after all that happened, I never knew I felt such a strong urge to talk to him like the old times – carefree and happy. I didn't want to talk to him because I'm angry, I was passed that. I realized that I wanted to go back to those times when we were the closest friends but knew that I can't. Nevertheless, I also know that I don't want to avoid him any longer. I needed closure over the matter and I have to face him sometime, why not now? I let go of the breath I didn't know I was holding and answered him with a faint 'Okay.'

We walked silently side by side until we reached the park, which was empty except for a black cat licking its paws. I hesitantly sat at the left swing – partly because I wanted to and partly because I don't think I can take the tension in the air around us – and looked up at Seth, waiting for him to speak. Seth was rubbing his neck and stayed standing while burning a hole through the floor.