Part 14

The moment the Marauder touched down on Anaxes, Anakin had been swept away by Obi-wan, no doubt to an immediate meeting with the Jedi Council. The Jedi Knight had little doubt he would be grilled for his actions and once again disobeying direct orders, as was the norm when he found a loophole. However, this time would be different as he had defied the order for any reason other than to help friends. Rex had told him of the theory Echo was still alive and brought his evidence, he couldn't turn his back on one of his closest and most loyal friends. (Y/N) too had been a reason. She hadn't been herself since Fives' death. She become far colder than before and determined to prove his innocence. Plus she all but rejected love from those around her, especially those who wanted to pursue a romantic relationship. He wanted to help Snap remember who she had been before Fives' died, before Echo had been lost at the Citadel before her heart had been shattered.

Rex, on the other hand, had simply led the way to Snap's medbay, suspecting she'd be there caring for the troopers injured in the battles while they were away. The members of the bad batch followed behind quietly, the only sound escaping the group was the light tapping from Tech fiddling with his datapad and the subtle clunking from Echo's prosthetics. Nonetheless, the silence to settled over them was a comfortable one, it allowed them to find some sort of peace in the war raging on around them and truly allowed them to hear their own thoughts. Some of them thought about what their next mission would be, Would they be thrown in the jaws of doom again or be sent on something considered softer than normal? Rex on the other hand could only think of Snap and her reaction. He'd not told her when leaving for the mission to retrieve Echo if only to spare her the heartbreak, should it be a cruel trap by the seppies. The great captain knew for sure either Gregor or Wolffe would be around somewhere, keeping an eye on her as the senate had declared for all civvie medics in the field.

Echo on the other hand thoughts had turned to all the things he'd missed. Gregor had apparently been found on the backwater planet known as the void, apparently with no recollection of how he ended up there. Fives, Tup, and Hardcase were gone as were many others he'd once called friends and brother. Soon enough his thoughts rallied to the impending reunion with (Y/N), he knew she'd changed, everyone in the war had. But still, he questioned if she would be happy to see him or even care for his return. He felt his nerves begin to rise, as his mind clouded with fear of rejection once more. Especially now when she was so different from his brothers and had done so much against those he once fought to protect.

Before Echo really knew it, the group of troopers were passing over the threshold of Snap's medbay, Much to the surprise of Rex the area was completely empty besides (Y/N) and Gregor, the commando preoccupied with winding Snap up. Although he stopped the moment his honey eyes found the group, specifically the once missing arc trooper. After which his only action was to draw her attention to the group, even if that meant hiding her datapad for the time being.

Snap had been about to reach for her datapad again when Gregor pointed to the quiet group. Upon turning to them she paled, so many emotions passing over her tired features. Slowly she stepped around her desk, trying to will her brain to catch up and to determine if she was seeing things or if her Echo was there. Rex and the members of the Bad Batch didn't say a word as they got comfy on the beds in the room waiting for their mandatory check-up before being released back into the field or receiving any treatment necessary.

"Hey, Snap" voiced Echo, mentally berating himself for saying something so stupid. They'd been separated for almost two years at that point, she deserved more than just a simple hey. He'd been about to say something else when he felt a hand collide with his cheek, sending his head whipping to the side with some force. His honey eyes were wide with shock as he turned to face her once more. (Y/N) seemed just as taken aback by her own actions, but there was also something else alight in her eyes now, something that hadn't been there before. Hope.