Part 8

(Y/N) hadn't been the same since finding out about Echo's fate. In the place of her happy, upbeat personality. Was sadness, she'd become a shadow of her former self. Although she tried to smile, it was clear it didn't reach her eyes and the bright spark to have once been alight behind her (E/C) eyes, had since been extinguished. Although she was sent on assignments, General Skywalker refused to allow her on the battlefield unless absolutely necessary something several members of the 501st echoed, especially Fives and Rex. Jesse and Kix did too but were a bit more lenient.

Additionally, (Y/N) had been given several rotations leave from the front lines. Instead being reassigned to the Military base on Coruscant. There she had been given several tasks, including ensuring all Jedi Cruisers had the supplies needed and new recruits had a friendly face to greet them. Ensuring rookie troopers knew there was someone they could turn to that cared. While there several troopers watched over her whenever they could. More often than not sending updates to those of the 501st, reassuring them she was okay.

"Are you seriously going to follow me everywhere I go?" asked Snap, throwing her words over her shoulder the moment she sensed Wolffe and Gregor trailing her again. Something both had made a habit of doing, especially Gregor. "I'm sure the two of you have other things to do" commented the medic, as she rounded the corner to pass the ship depo, almost surprised to see the cruisers belonging to the 212th had returned. Which only meant the 501st would be due back at some point.

"Nothing's more important than you Snap" called Wolffe from behind, his voice gruff as normal. Snap could only assume he was rolling his mismatched eyes as he often did. Gregor's signature chuckle chased after the Commander's words, a playful tone to it. As if the pair were playing a game of cat and mouse with her, a game they had no intention of ending anytime soon. "Plus someone's got to keep an eye on you. Even more so since your ex decided to get a job around her as a cryptographer" added the Commander, reminding the friendly medic, her brother-in-law and ex had recently been recruited. His job role ensured he was on Coruscant and assigned to the medical base.

"So your plan is to follow me around and be my self-assigned bodyguards?" questioned (Y/N), a smile threatening to tug at the corner of her lips, something that felt foreign to her in past weeks. "Are you going to do that until I return to my normal duty?" asked the caring medic, knowing if it was Wolffe or Gregor then it would be one of the others, Nova and Cody, even Rex, Fives, Jesse, or Tup. Although there were times it had been only one trooper following her, she was all too aware there were normally two. One just kept to the shadows as the other made it plain and clear.

"We were thinking of recruiting Cody's boys" announced Gregor, quickly cutting himself off, upon Wolffe smacking him upside the head, a death glare followed it. The commander quickly realized he hadn't been fast enough to stop Gregor's words, when Snap had turned to face the duo, curiosity peaked, upon the mention of Cody's boys. Silently she questioned if the boys in question were other members of the 212th, similar to the Wolf Pack. Or if it was a reference to an entirely different unit.

"Clone Force 99" admitted Wolffe, not bothering to try and hide the fact. Like many he'd heard of the elite commando unit, as it was clear (Y/N) had too. The skills the four had were unmatched by anyone else, both clones and civvies. Cody had spoken highly of them and their individual skills as troopers, only a few times had the Commander of the 212th mentioned their enhancements, normally a quick comment in a passing conversation. "They were recently redirected back here, for leave" added the Commander of the 104th legion, something he was sure Snap was already aware of. Wrecker would have likely needed his mandatory cybernetic check. Something Wolffe had also recently gone through, although (Y/N) had been gentle and offered kind words for distractions.

"The Bad Batch" voiced Snap, thrust confirming she was indeed aware of the commando group. She'd recently had the pleasure of meeting Tech, who had all but been dragged to her medbay by Crosshair, both of which had sustained a few injuries from their prior assignment. Crosshair had remained quiet as she worked on them both, his eyes always locked on the door as if watching for someone on the opposite side. Tech had been the opposite, chatty and friendly. Almost fearless with his never-ending thread of compliments. A few Tib bits of advice every now and again.

"Told you she knew about them" commented Cody as he walked past, looking a little worse for wear. The latest battlefield no doubt harsher than normal. The I told you so look painted on his features as he passed both Wolffe and Gregor, almost as if scolding them for doubting Snap's ability to remember every trooper to come her way. The four members of Clone Force 99 were particularly hard to forget, especially when most questioned if they were even clones in the first place. "When do you return to active field duty?" questioned the Commander of the 212th, his helmet neatly tucked beneath his arm, as he come to a stop next to (Y/N), acting as if he was a protective older brother rather than a friend. Octavius wandered back and forth just up ahead as if lost or waiting for someone.

"Next rotation, back on duty with the 501st. General Skywalker had a hard time trying to make it permanent" replied (Y/N), recalling receiving the news, she'd be permanently assigned to the 501st. She'd been both excited about it and absolutely terrified. Now more than ever she feared losing another she cared for so much, plus she didn't want to leave those of the 212th and 104th legions behind. Even more so when both had yet to be assigned a permanent civvi medic. Plus she didn't want to leave those who had become a found family to her behind again. Even when they constantly followed her, she knew they'd only done so to make sure nothing happened and to remind her someone was there for her as she had been for them.

"Well, he won the battle with the all-mighty powers at be. We clones are a different matter" laughed Gregor. His chuckle was lighthearted and warm but the tone of his voice was serious, suggesting many of them were as reluctant to let Snap go, as she was to leave them. For the first time, Snap let her sweet laugh pass through her lips, for a few seconds the bright glimmer in her eyes returned, as if things were back to normal. The reality was brought crashing back when Wolffe all but growled at Octavius drawing nearer, showing his clear distrust of the cryptographer.

"I'll walk you back to your medbay" commented Cody, attempting to remove Snap from the situation at hand. At the same time, he knew like all troopers, he would have to go through the normal round of checks. As was mandatory after the senate's latest bill, its intention was to ensure all troopers were healthy and not sent back to the front lines of war if injured. "I'll willingly submit to the check-up" added the commander as if trying his best to convince her to leave the area willingly. At least before Wolffe snapped or Gregor did something.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't boys" voiced (Y/N), as she willingly allowed Cody to lead her away from the corridor, back the way she'd come. Her prior list of to-do jobs forgotten for the time being. Something she'd pick back up again at a later date. Snap took notice when both troopers reluctantly nodded as if they picked up on her subtle attempt to save them from being court marshaled. She had no doubt what both protective men thinking of doing. "I'll make it difficult if I have to patch either of you up again" added Snap, recalling the number of times Gregor had been gone to her after a bar fight. Wolffe had a few times, but his injuries had been caused by breaking said fights up rather than causing them.