Chapter 1

- Harriet' s POV -

-

Four months ago ...

"Have you already seen her? " 

I peered through my sunglasses, allowing them to slide down to the bridge of my nose. I shook my head, but then I remembered I was talking with my mom on the phone, and she couldn't obviously see me.

I cleared my throat and said, "I'm standing in the very same spot for almost 20 minutes, mom. Are you really sure she's coming?"

"Yes, I'm pretty sure, anak. Nagsend pa nga sakin ng photos ang aunt Dorothy mo eh"

I could only roll my eyes but didn't make a comment, thinking that it's safe not to piss off my mother early this morning.

Nagiging dragon pa naman to pag nagagalit o naiinis.

"Okay," I exhaled, taking a deep breath, adjusting my coat comfortably around my body. "How 'bout let's make a deal?"

"Anong deal?"

"Okay, since bagong buhay tayo ngayon. Magiging mabait tayo. I'll give this person another 5 more minutes pero pag hindi siya dumating bago ang oras na yun, I'm sorry, mom, but I don't have any choice but to leave her here, and before you argue, that's fixed, no more extensions."

I heard a couple of shufflings from the other line, and somehow it brought a smile to my face as I pictured the woman in her favorite apron doing her thing in the kitchen until a frown slowly grazed her face and then a signature dramatic sigh followed.

I can feel it, though. I know sa mga oras na' to nag-iisip na yan ng isasagot pero dahil alam niya na mas stubborn pa ang nag-iisa niyang anak kaysa sa alaga naming shihuhua sa bahay ay mas pipiliin nalang nitong tumahimik.

"Fine. Pero wag mo akong sisisihin na hindi kita sinabihan na you'll gonna miss bigtime pag pinalampas mo'to. Sasabihin mong nagpapatawa lang ako ngayon but believe me my charming sweetie pie baby, you're definitely wrong"

Napaikot nalang ako ng mata sa sinabi nito. As if naman.

"Whatever, mom. I'll call you later for the updates, but for now, I need to end this call because my phone battery is almost drained."

"Okay, see you later, honey. Ba-bye"

And the call ended.

I turned off the phone and stuffed it back into my jeans pocket. I stretch out my limbs and scan the place again.

A small frown crosses my face when I realize this is going to be a long, tiring day for me. There are a lot of people in here; how could I possibly find her?

Sa mga oras na'to I can only wish na siya ang unang makakita sakin kapag nakita niya 'tong malaking banner na hawak ko kung saan naka imprinta ang napakalaking 'WELCOME HOME, SCARLET KENNEDY TUAZON'. Naka capslock pa yan at may pa smiley emoticon pa sa left side.

"Uhm, excuse me?"

A sweet angelic voice snapped me back to the living world. Lazily turning my head to my right, I almost fell out of my knees, my jaws gaping at the sight that greeted me.

Shuta! Dyosa!

How could you describe her?

Beautiful. 

Extravagant.

Enchanting. 

A goddess. 

Breathtaking beauty.

Actually, you could just include all the positive adjectives in the vocabulary. Yun na yun.

"Hello?" 

A snap of the girl's finger brought me out of my haze.

"H-huh?" 

Crap. 

Did I just stutter in front of the goddess?

Nice, Harriet. You just embarrass yourself.

"Uhm, the banner," she utters, unsurely, her slithe finger pointing towards the purple banner I was grasping with both of my hands.

I look down at the banner, then shift it back to her, seeming dumbfounded.

"That's me," the girl informs simply, a small smile grazing at the corner of her rosy lips.

I swear, my eyes almost pop out of their sockets. Nalaglag narin ata pati panga ko dahil sa sinabi niya.

I told you, you will miss bigtime if you'll let this opportunity slip, my dear cutie pie.

I gritted my teeth, imagining my mother's reaction if she saw me right now. She will surely act all smug at that, knowing that she was right after all.

Gosh. How could I be so stupid?

"You-- " 

I opened my mouth but then closed it. The words that I wanted to say had been stuck in my throat, choking me up. Instead, I just foolishly pointed my index finger back and forth, from her, then back to the banner in my hand.

Although feeling weirded out, she nodded her head anyway. That simple gesture was enough to confirm the huge question mark that was on top of my head.

And at that very moment, I had completely lost it.

I was supposed to pick up the girl from the airport as per my mother's request. The plan was supposed to be like that. But I never planned this particular one.

It was never in my plan to pass out in the middle of the huge crowd of passengers.

To put the icing on the cake, to let it all happen in front of the ever-gorgeous girl I just met.

If someone asked me what the most embarrassing memories were that I wanted to cross out of my life, this day would surely be at the top of the list.