Chapter 27

- Harriet's POV -

-

It was already the night of Lolo Dmitri's 80th birthday celebration. The huge garden in front of the mansion was the venue of the celebration. It was not as grandiose as it usually is because, as Lolo has requested, he wanted it to be exclusive for the family and closest relatives only. So there are no other visitors invited.

Two large tables have been set up in the middle, facing each other, and there's also a convertible mini stage in front for those who want to say their birthday messages/greeting to Lolo later.

As everyone, wearing their semi-formal attire, filled the place, the celebration finally started.

Tito Edward, the eldest son of Lolo Dmitri and also the father of the woman who I despise the most, led the celebration as he stood in the middle of the stage to welcome everyone and to deliver his birthday message for the celebrant.

Huminga muna ito ng malalim habang may tipid na ngiti sa kanyang labi. Makisig itong nakatayo sa harapan at nakaharap sa aming lahat na nakaupo na sa palibot ng dalawang mahabang table.

Hawak sa kanang kamay ang mic, muli itong ngumiti sa gawi ni Lolo Dmitri na noon ay nakaupo naman sa kanang bahagi ng table at nakatingin na rin sa anak.

Napangiti na rin ako mula sa kinauupuan ng makita ang nangingislap na mga mata ni Lolo sa mga oras na yun. Mababakas mo talaga sa mukha nito na masaya siya. At nasisiyahan din akong isipin na kahit sa ganitong mga pagkakataon naiibsan namin ang mga lungkot at pangungulila na nararamdaman nito sa loob niya.

"Papa," panimula ni Tito Edward. "First and foremost, of course, I wanted to wish you a happy 80th birthday. I know we have never been the barkada type of father-son tandem because I know it was always Marco's forte."

Nagsipagtawanan ang lahat sa pabirong sinabi nito kasama na dun si Lolo Dmitri.

"Just kidding, Marco buds, don't visit me in my sleep later, please? You know I am not really fond of ghost stories, and Lianne, babe, please don't spit on my drink later."

Mas malakas na tawanan na ang bumalot sa buong garden. Tanaw ko pa si mama mula sa kinauupuan niya sa kaharap na table na halos mangiyak-ngiyak na sa kakatawa sa kalokohan ni Tito Edward.

Tito Edward is a known joker in the family. Halos hindi lang din nagkakalayo ugali nila ni papa. Noong nabubuhay pa si papa sila din talaga yung duo na bumubuhay sa mga ganitong klaseng ganap ng buong angkan ng mga Abbott.

Kaya nung namatay si papa four years ago, si Tito Edward na ang nagpatuloy nang nasimulan nilang dalawa every time na may mga family gatherings or celebrations.

Pero isa rin talaga sa medyo nawewerduhan ako ay yung part na pano naging anak ni Tito Edward yung babaeng kinaiinisan ko? Ang layo-layo ng ugali nilang dalawa talaga. Hula ko nga baka ampon lang ang isang yun eh. Choss!

"Moving forward, I am just so happy right now because all of you are here with us celebrating our dear papa's 80th birthday. What I only wish for papa is for him to have a longer life and stable health condition. We will still celebrate your 81st birthday next year and the following year and so on. Kaya palakas ka papa. We will always be here, your family and loved ones; we will always have your back. I love you so much."

Malakas na palakpakan ang naging ending ng speech na yun ni Tito. Everyone who was present there already had tears in their eyes as Tito stepped out of the stage and walked near Lolo to give him a huge, tight hug, which Lolo reciprocated happily.

Nagpatuloy ang celebration after nun. Kanya-kanya bigay din ng birthday messages and greetings nila ang ibang mga dumalo. Nang natapos na ang lahat ay isa-isa naring isinerve ang mga pagkain at inumin.

Nabalot ng samot-saring ingay ang buong dalawang table. May mga nagkukumustahan. Yung iba kanya-kanyang topic na rin ng mapag-uusapan nila. Samantalang yung iba ay nakatuon lang sa pagkain ang atensyon, kagaya ko.

Hanggang sa lumalalim na rin ang gabi at kailangan na rin makapagpahinga ang lahat. May mangilan-ngilan na nga sa mga relatives namin ang nagpaalam na kay lolo kanina na mauuna na sila dahil medyo mahaba pa ang ibabyahe nila pauwi sa mga bahay nila.

Nasa kalagitnaan ng kasiyahan ang lahat ng biglang muling umakyat si Tito Edward sa ibabaw ng stage, kaya lahat kami ay napunta sa kanya ang atensyon.

"Sorry to interrupt you all, but I just have a special announcement to make before this night ends." He cleared his throat. "I know that some of you were already aware of the previous issue that I and my family have faced this year. "He paused as he roamed his eyes in the audience as if he were searching for someone. "It was about my unica ija's private relationship for those who don't have any idea what I am talking about. Uhm, it was a whole roller coaster ride but we were able to fix it. The reason why I am standing here in front of all of you is because I wanted to do the honor to announce the most exciting news about the future plan of my daughter." A proud smile etches its way on Tito Edwards face. "Kleon, anak. Alam kong marami akong pagkukulang sayo as your father, but I just want you to know that I have never been more proud to have you as my daughter. Nung pinanganak ka palang ng mommy mo, sobrang saya na yung naramdaman ko. It was one of the most precious days of my life. I know there were times that we had a lot of disagreement, especially when it came to your life choices, but that was because I am your father. I am just concerned about your well-being. I only wanted to make sure that everything would be fine. But at the end of the day, Daddy's always here to support you, anak."

Nilibot ko ang paningin hanggang sa napunta ito sa siyang sentro ng speech ni Tito ngayon. Kleon.

Neutral lang ang expression ng mukha nito. Hindi mo agad masasabi kong nasisiyahan ba siya o hindi sa mga sinasabi ng tatay niya sa harapan. Pero mukhang wala naman kaso sa kanya ito. Nakahalukipkip lang siya dun at nakaupo ng diretso sa upuan niya habang hindi inaalis ang tingin sa may stage sa harapan.

"Hindi ko na pahahabain 'to dahil alam kong medyo pagod na rin ang lahat at siyempre kakailanganin na rin magbebe time ng mga couples dito."

Maikling tawanan ulit galing sa dalawang table ang maririnig sa pabirong sinabi na iyon ni Tito.

"Anyways, everyone, please let me do the honor to announce to all of you the upcoming marriage of my Unica Ija, Anastasia Kleon Abbott, to her 2-year-long-term partner, Cleosyss Alyana Rivero!"

The moment that familiar name rang in my ears, I felt like I was suddenly being suffocated. My body automatically reacts, and I don't even know how to stop it.

No, it can't be her.

The sound of everyone's applause faded in the background as I waited with bated breath for the grand entrance of the person I had least expected to see at an exclusive family celebration.

There is no way all of this is happening right now.

As I saw her sauntering her way to Kleon and the latter extending her hand to her so the both of them could walk towards the stage together, every emotion I was trying to conceal just broke away.

It opened up the wound that had been closed for a long time.

My surroundings suddenly started closing in on me. I can't breath. Something is piercing my heart, and it was almost painful.

I was nearly gasping for air until I felt a warm hand hold my shaking fist. On reflex, I snapped my head on my side, and Celeste was already looking at me with concern in her eyes.

"Are you okay?" She mouthed at me. I hope I can say I am, but it was so painful. Just seeing her face brings back a lot of memories from the past.

Memories that I was desperately trying to forget.

It was already 3 years ago, but why does the pain still feel the same?

Why?

What is that woman who has hurt me in the past doing here? To add salt to my open wound, she had chosen to marry the one person I had despise for a long time.

Celeste's still waiting for my response, but I don't think that is possible right now. My mind is all over the place, and I couldn't even form a coherent word to describe what I really felt at that moment.

Everything just jumbles up.

Seeing everyone's smiling faces right now, I feel suddenly out of place. Knowing that this is Lolo Dmitri's birthday celebration, I also feel guilty for feeling this way. So I think it will be for the best if I just excuse myself before the rest of them can notice the sudden shift in my mood.

"I..." I swallowed the lump that was trapping my throat. "I need to go to the restroom. Excuse me."

I didn't wait for Celeste's reply, as I quickly got up from my seat. Everyone's too engrossed in congratulating the soon-to-be married couple to even notice what I did.

As I was leaving the venue, I didn't expect to catch sight of her lingering gaze trained on me.

So she notices? She knows that I was there all along. Was this all part of her plan, then?

It suddenly irked me to think that all of this wasn't just a coincidence. I don't know what games she's been playing this time. But I wanted to prove to her that I was not the old Harriet anymore.

What she did still hurts me, but one mistake was enough. My life will never end with just the ghost of my past, especially now that I already have more reason to go on.

Scarlet.