001

The roar of the engines above rips me from my thoughts. I glance at the sky above as my transport lands in front of me with two guards walking out beside one of the chief executives of Lazarus.

 I glance at the sky above as my transport lands in front of me with two guards walking out beside one of the chief executives of Lazarus

The sun is setting.

She walks up to me with an exaggerated strut. I tighten my jaw and keep my gaze locked onto the AV behind the woman. She stops right in front of me with her bleached and burning white eyes searching my face.

She pulls the cigarette from her lips and blows it my way. "Out and about? Keep in mind the leash when you go out to piss."

I crack my neck, lowering my gaze to look her in the eye. "Flick of the wrist, snap of the finger."

"All it takes, good boy," she winks at me. "Glad that you remembered exactly how easy it is to get rid of you... though Lazarus believes that you are useful to keep around. I, on the other hand, know that you have so much more potential than a Borg."

I lower my head slightly, with a low tone, "You best hope that this collar stays on-"

"Hmm, love a boy that knows how to stay on his knees," she brushes past my idle threat. "Do a good job, your existence thrives solely on your ability to finish the job."

She passes me and I head straight for the AV. I climb in and it shuts behind me. I pull out a weapon and place it on the seat beside me while I settle in the seat. It isn't often they let me outside but I guess the information is important to Lazarus.

The AV takes off.

I watch the screen above me, as the channel switches over from an advertisement to getting your cock modded to a shootout.

"Yesterday, 23 January, there has been growing signs of an uprising. We do not know the cause of such an uprising nor the reason for..."

The channels swap to someone's caller ID. It rings through the entire AV. I watch it as it answers itself and a voice that I am not particularly fond of hearing starts singing me his song.

"Operation data suggests that our data is in the hands of Scavs hoping to sell to the highest bidder. There's a good chance they are waiting for us to rock up with payment and we decided to play by their rules."

The corner of my mouth twitches.

"You'll be negotiating with them and I do hope you brought your friendliest face because these freaks are hard to negotiate with. There's a suitcase with a chip filled with Eddies. We want the hive gone so make sure they take it with them. Heard?"

I stay quiet.

He chuckles. "Ghost, am I heard?"

"Crystal."

"Good."

The channel cuts with the channel swapping back to the news. I connect with the screen through my optics and turn down the volume before the taste of freedom gets to my head. Now is not the time to take risks.

My optics flicker, a call is being transmitted through the backend of my chipset's security.

"Are you alone?"

I glance at the words that pop into my eyes. I blink at it before answering through text. "Who is this?"

"A loose end. Lazarus wants my ass and you are after the Data I stole and gave to the Scavs," the woman's soft voice speaks. "I've encrypted this conversation so there is no way for you to track me, and no way for them to ever find it."

You chose the wrong dog to talk to.

"I'd argue you are the best one suited for this. Continue to get the data as you are instructed. The moment you return to Lazarus' offices report to your handler and you'll see a nice little present pop up in your optics."

Nothing's ever so easy.

"That's why we are making this deal before I save your skin. I need protection from Lazarus on our way out and you and your very capable self are going to do exactly that while we escape into the slums of Night City. You have until you come back to make your decision."

The call cuts. The reddish overlay in my optics faded away as they forced the connection to be terminated. I rest my head backwards and shut my eyes tightly. Taking a deep breath I wonder if I should take this risk.

I glance to the side of the AV to look at the sun setting, and soon the lights of the Holograms lighting up the entire city. In my view, I can see probably a couple hundred different kinds of corporation buildings.

 In my view, I can see probably a couple hundred different kinds of corporation buildings

The estimated flight is about an hour. I am going to the furthest end of the city. Straight to the first few megabuildings in the lower districts. Far from here but still plenty of corporation control to see.

City of Dreams.

Everyone wants to be here.

Everyone dies here.