029

I hug against the barrier as the explosion sends a pulse rippling through the air. For a brief moment, the darkness lights up a bright orange before followed up with smoke. In unison, the two of us pushed ourselves out of the cover and straight through the scorched doorway.

V, obviously faster than me, passes through the smoke guns blazing.

I lift my arm to shield my eyes from the smoke as I step through to scan the place. The lab's pure-white walls give off that sterilized feeling. The two of us broke straight into a loading bay with a shit ton of crates stacked on tall racks and in the distance a control booth on the second floor.

A nice view of the moon overhead that is slowly being swallowed up by the smoke from our explosion.

 Dozens of security personnel charge us but there is not a single sign of the Borg that we prepared for. I slide into cover as I radio the others, "Time is being bought. No sign of the borg just yet."

Working in tandem we both exchange a nod before pushing ourselves out of cover once more and working our way forward. We place our shots almost perfectly as we wipe out most of them with ease.

V tosses a grenade, with a neat little spin, she takes aim and shoots it out of the air to flush the last few out of their cover from behind the crates. We push forward slowly as I pass one of the guards choking on the shrapnel.

"Team Two?" V hails them as she gestures for the two of us to work our way to the second floor to take control of the security booth.

"Inside," Jackie whispers. "We ain't moving until that piece of shit shows himself, we'd be turned into red fucking mist if he shows here."

"Working on it, Jack," she can't help but sound annoyed, though adrenaline is high so there's no point in trying to be friendly.

We reach the stairs, "They won't move unless we find him," V expresses, "Any chance Lucy can give the system a prod to find him?"

"Not unless we want him to hunt after them," I say as I follow her up the steps, we both move in a way to make haste.

Kiwi speaks over the comms, "He's still there. There's a faint signal there but hard to locate where it is coming from exactly. I'd be on my toes, avoid close quarters, that loading bay is your best bet."

We reach the security booth, V's eyes light up as she opens the door remotely and rushes behind the console to jack in her personal link.

"Uploading a daemon that should help with some of the security systems."

I nod, putting aside my rifle I hold the sniper tightly as I survey the room to possibly find a way to set up. There isn't a place that would cover all of the angles so I am going to have to rely on an accurate snapshot and pray that V can buy me time if I do miss.

"Ninety percent... nine... and we're done," she pulls out her personal and then walks towards me. "Subnet's wide open."

"I'll start looking around," Bug states.

The two of us start heading towards the stairs. "Make it quick, Bug," V hurries her along.

I react instantly, my senses heightened as I hear the sound of a wrist-mounted launcher triggers. I grab V by the upper arm and pull her with me back towards the security booth. I use all of my strength before transferring my hand from her arm to around her torso.

The stairs explode and the explosion launches both of us towards the booth. V rolled over the ground and I was about to slam my shoulder into the door before it automatically slid open and instead landed on the ground.