011

I never planned it out when I finally fought for my freedom. The past week has been surviving and covering our tracks. Getting rid of old equipment and hiding out in Watson till we had an idea of where we wanted to go.

Now? I did a job and got a crew, people that I could trust eventually.

And tonight? I am walking alone despite that. It feels silly and even more so if you think about it aloud. But I wanted to see the City that I was kept in but never had the chance to see. I am tired but I don't know if it is because I was tired of being alive but never living... or just that after all that time, I don't have much in me to give.

Freedom was supposed to satisfy that itch but... it is more of the same. Still alone. But at least now I get to go about it my way.

"Yo!" I glance over my shoulder to see a rather wide grin of the kid with the Sandivistan running up to me.

"Sup?" I turn around with my hands still tucked deep into my jacket pockets.

"(Y/N), right?" I nod. "Saw you walking away, thought you'd be leaving with Elster and Ariane."

I gesture in the direction I was headed. "I was actually going to hit all of the shops and see what there is to see. Never really had a chance to live properly so I thought I'd blow all my Eddies on shit I'd wonder about."

He nods. "Need a tag-along?"

"What about back there?" I ask.

"Mostly doesn't last nearly as long and everyone's headed home," he glances at the road he came from and then back at me. "Dunno."

I twist my lips to the side before cracking a smile. "Unless you want to show me around this late at night? I am pretty terrible company."

He walks forward and shakes his head at me. "Can't be any worse than some of the guys back there."

"Could try," I chuckle. "So? What's made a kid like you go after this? Barely even look eighteen."

He lowers his gaze to the ground and shakes his head. "Went to Arasaka High actually, but money was hard to come by. Stuck out like a sore thumb and knew that I wasn't going to do anything there."

"Mom hated the thought but eventually let me in on the Edgerunners' biz after I chipped the Sandy. Stole it but..." he sighs, "pretty fucking stupid just to prove a point but now I am here. Prefer it actually."

I guess most people won't ever have a choice either. Such is life.

"You?"

I take a deep breath before asking, "Didn't hear from your mom?"

He nods. "Everyone said what you are. Fuck it felt scary seeing you chase after us after being sent through a wall and eating up that shot from Maine. Seeing you know hard to believe you were still human. Implants are fucking insane."

Implants... huh? I guess none of them know that I am a psion. Best to keep it that way for now. Nothing good came from being different.

"Scared the shit out of you?" I snort.

"No fucking shit you did!"

"Not every day you get chased down by a Corpo Hound, huh?" I snort. "But I guess we should all get used to it now, seeing as biz is going to lead us straight to the fuckers.

He nods. "At least I got some experience now."

"They won't be nearly as merciful as I was," I breathe out.

"I get that," I glance at him to see a determined face. "Have to prove to her that I can do this, that she can be proud of me just as much as she wanted to see me at the top of 'Saka tower."

"Keep up," I say with a straight face, "we are only here once, so let's make those precious few moments count."

"Fuck yeah!"

I chuckle, "Afraid you are going to have to keep the hype to yourself for the moment. Still need to prove to your mom and the rest of the crew that I have what it takes."

"That night wasn't enough?"

I shake my head. "Skill isn't key here, trust is important."

"Maine says the only person you can trust is yourself."

I nod, "I'd have said the same thing. But I wasn't the one that saved me from where I was stuck. Because... what happens if you let yourself down? Who do we turn to then?"

He lowers his gaze slightly. "I..."

I shake my head. "Just a thought."

He stays quiet for a moment before I gesture for the two of us to head into a clothing store where I get something better than the shit that I got for cheap. The clothes I wore were probably ripped off of a gonk's corpse and sold for pennies.

 The clothes I wore were probably ripped off of a gonk's corpse and sold for pennies

Something like this, though is just visualization for the most part. Your drip is ultimately up to you. I just have a boner for trench coats.

I swipe over the eddies and get dressed into something that suits my fancy. David is perusing through the isles of displayed clothes. I raise my hand to get his attention to signal for us to start heading out.

Just pissed out 3k eddies. Lovely.

"Looking good."

"Self-esteem needed that," I turn to walk down the street. "You've been running the crew long?"

"Almost two weeks now," he nods, his eyes on the ground.

"Quite an amorous group," I remark, he looks at me through the corner of his eye. "Though I guess if you run with people you are bound to find someone you fancy."

"It's just Maine and Dorio that I am aware of."

"Not Lucy and Pillar?"

He groans, almost as if he is feeling a bit embarrassed. I think the correct word is closer to cringe.

"He's a bit handsy, but no. Definitely not those two, he has a habit of not learning his lesson and Lucy's not exactly fond of him. Or... well she's not really fond of a lot of people in the crew but she doesn't word her disdain I think."

"Best to keep it yourself, I suppose."

"Hmm."

Then I suppose the closest example is Elster and Ariane. Those two look close and it's not my place to give a fuck about what goes on between the two of them... I just feel like I owe them a favour for saving me.

Besides, it helps to have some friends I learned.

"Got an eye on someone then?" I ask him, glancing at him through the corner of my eye.

"Can't really say," he breathes out.

I don't push him for further information. The conversations between us are like filling the empty air but I don't mind it at all. Anything's better than just roaming around the streets in total silence and the company enhances the experience.

I should get an apartment of my own.

And probably something to drive before that.

"Know a shop nearby with second-hand shit?" I glance at him.

He smirks at me, "Might have an idea."