031 - (L)

(Omen of ill-tidings)

She showered before me and is already out and dressed, I on the other hand have been taking in the warmth knowing full well that the eddies I am going to get out of this job are going to burn through my ass and a warm shower is never on the list of things I'd need.

Parts of my body are still sore, I know some of it is going to bruise. I may be a psion and all of that but there is only so much a human body is willing to go through before it gives in before your own will would.

I should pace myself appropriately.

I've never needed to pop pills to keep my head high, even when they were torturing me that wasn't enough to kill my spirit. Ah but maybe that was just spite, and with spite alone, this city will burn down with me.

I turn off the tap and dry myself. I put on some bottoms and walk out to meet her already sitting on her couch on the window sill overlooking the world just outside of her window. Her gaze is locked onto something up amongst the stars.

My guess? An escape. Dreaming of a life further than this one.

"Been quiet," I breathe out as I stop beside her.

"Wanted me to hold your hand while you showered?"

I lift my shoulders into a shrug only for the muscle in the back to start stinging in response. "Could probably have done with a softer touch," I chuckle as I spin around and drown on the couch with my arms stretched around the backside.

"Or maybe someone to convince you not to push your limits."

I smile up at her to meet her smile. "You know you could have done that for me, you enabled me whereas you could have kept it from me. Even though you admitted that you really wanted to, what changed?"

She shakes her head at me. "Something about you that just... lights it up."

"WHAT exactly?"

"The fire I guess. I didn't want to go with you to that damned place but I knew without someone to tap into the network it would have been a suicide run, I knew that we needed the firepower but sending you all the way to the top on a mission like that was reckless."

"I know Lazarus."

"And they know Ghost."

I let my smile fade. "Aye."

"You have those eyes, the tone, the attitude... it makes you feel like I could trust you with more than you should be shouldering." She turns her head to stare at the window. "I don't like that feeling, then you'll end up burning up for everyone else while you keep us alight."

"There are more Psions than just me-"

"But they aren't you." She says with a soft smile. "How many people here give enough of a shit to look at the gonks surrounding them and go that far for their sake? Even if it wasn't for any of our sakes, even if it was just out of spite to piss on Lazarus one more time that doesn't stop the fact that even when I wanted to say no I couldn't help but want you to prove me wrong."