009

***   Elster POV   ***

Resting on the ground, Ariane sat down beside me while the two of us watched one of the girls drag him into the conversation with the rest of the crew. Well... our new crew. We got along with him easily because it was a necessity for all of us to communicate.

Right now I'd say (Y/N) is more than just a colleague but not a friend just yet. Though I'll trust him more than I'd trust most of these people. But just like Gloria said, trust has to be built and there is a lot of room for us to work on that.

Ariane asks me, "So I won that bet, right?"

Rolling my eyes at her. "Funny. I am pretty sure I made that bet in the hopes that I'd be wrong. Though we should be happy that (Y/N) decided to talk to them in the first place, you psions haven't been treated the kindest so it's harder for you to talk to any of them."

Ariane lowers her gaze to the ground. "It... it was rough. But I am glad at least someone helped him slide into it."

"We need him," I say as I take a large gulp from my drink.

She shoots me her worried stare that I am so used to. But recently things have been going our way and you can't help but wonder when it is going to start blowing up in our faces. Hope doesn't last in a city like this.

"Are we still going ahead with that plan?"

I nod slowly. "You know we can't just kick it back and do these little things, small gigs and such. It will be nice to get along with all these people but in the end you and him, you are both targets and if Lazarus so much as blabs to... let's say Arasaka. Something bigger and worse than them-"

She continues my train of thought, "Then we are fucked."

"Hm mhm. I don't want to just fuck with the corps, I don't want to just kick their shins. I want to tear their throats out and decorate their tombs with the gore. We have to fuck them over so far that there is nothing left."

"Killing a corporation," she sighs. "Don't we already know how that is going to turn out?"

I clench my fists, then relaxing my hands I tap my nail against the ground. "We can't ever know."

"2023. 2049. 2062. Those years... someone tried to do something and they all died trying to do something. I don't think we can win against something like this Elster."

I point at (Y/N) who has just been settling into the group. "I had one chance to pick us both the best candidate among all of the psions in containment. I believe he can lead a group of people to bring the corporations to their knees... well, at least the ones that we hate the most."

"The world revolves around them," Ariane grabs my arm. "We can't be rid of them forever."

"But we can clear your name, we can clear his name."

"But what are you doing it for?"

"Hatred?" I lift my shoulders with a shrug. "Or do you forget sometimes that I am a replicant? I've been through shit, seen shit, and just sat and watch as the flames rose in front of me. Or maybe I am drunk," I lift my shoulders into laughter.

She whispers to me. "Doesn't make you any less human than me."

I glance at her. "More... human animal. Bioengineered humans weren't exactly made for any purpose above slavery."

"Elster," she says my name, almost like she is warning me for speaking facts.

"Yeah yeah," I take another swing of the bottle. "I won't do anything drastic. If he isn't on board then there's no point, I can't see me doing this on my own. I am not someone that can get the trust of hundreds easily."

She laughs at me, "Don't see yourself leading cyberpunks?"

I shake my head. "The Edgerunners stick to themselves, they'd rather look at a legend," I glance at (Y/N), "or at least one in the making. Maybe there is a legend right here with us. If it comes down to it, I'll gather the replicants."

"They are a harder bunch to convince."

I nod. "They just need a spark of hope, just a tiny sliver."

"That's enough?"

I glance back at her. "It was enough for me," I whisper to her. She is lying just beside me as the two of us managed to find some comfort on the concrete.

"Just like you, to hold out for hope when you know that it isn't something you can just come by. Especially not in a world like this."

I nod. "In the end? I think I will lose more than I will ever gain because so little things in this world are ever worth it. That's why all these people," I look at them all enjoying their night, "that's why we live for the moment and never past that."

"What good is hopes and dreams when you don't look to the future?" she counters.

"It's nice to dream," I admit. "City of dreams."

"As they say."

"As they say," I repeat her words with a chuckle. "Do you agree with me? Or am I just trying to look for someone to help both of us just for the sake of having someone like that?"

"I have faith in him," I nod in agreement, "but I also feel he is just as lost if not more than the two of us. I had a short life before they found me and took me away before I met you. He's been in containment for his entire life."

I nod. "Surprised he's not insane, that must be the willpower from your psions."

"Maybe," she cracks a  slight smile. "What do you think about him?"

"Let's say I'll be keeping a keen eye on him."

"That makes two of us."