12 - Fireflies

[Viv and Brad are seen sitting around the fire, trying to warm up and dry themselves off.]

[Viv removes her shirt, leaving her in a black sports bra, places it by the fire and moves towards the water.]

Everyone looks around the room awkwardly, minus Natasha, who was the only one to have seen the sight before. Viv never showed much skin, so seeing her in this vulnerable position made everyone slightly uncomfortable.

Natasha watched intently, seeing the back of her lover on screen. Compared to what it is like now – covered in brutal, deep scars – she couldn't help but wonder where she got these scars from. She initially assumed that it had been from the games; however, now she is second-guessing that, considering they surgically removed any imperfections after the Games.

She is scared to see how she gets them. Scared for her lover. Scared to see more of what haunts her fiancé's nightmares at night.

[She notices moss on the cave wall and uses her knife to get some of it.]

[Soaking the moss in the water, she starts to clean all the wounds she has gained over the last few days. Occasionally hissing in pain.]

[Brad soon comes up to her, takes the moss from her, and helps her by cleaning the stab wound on her shoulder.]

The room once again smiled at the duo on screen. They knew that Blake had taken a very maternal role over the young boy from the moment his name was called. However, they were glad to see how Brad also cared deeply for Blake.

Even Blake herself smiled at the screen. She misses Brad with her whole heart; she hadn't met the boy before his name was called, but that didn't stop her from taking care of him. No one deserves to go through the Hunger Games, and she wanted him to feel comforted as much as possible. She just didn't know at the time how much comfort he had also provided to her.

Viv: [Whispers] Thank You.

[Brad smiles gently towards Viv.]

Brad: When do we have to start moving again?

[Viv sits in silence for a moment.]

Viv: Soon. I just need some time to recover. It's a lot.

Everyone can see how much having to kill someone affected Blake. All of them had killed someone in some way or another; there was no denying this fact, whether it was during a war, to protect themselves or because they were forced to. It affected everyone in their own ways, but none of them can say it affected them positively.

So, they all watched the screen in front of them in understanding and sadness.

Brad: Okay.

[The scene changes to Viv putting on her shirt and gathering all their things.]

[Viv smiles towards Brad and motions for him to get moving.]

[Viv speaks quietly while the duo navigates themselves through the caves.]

Viv: We can't stay anywhere for too long. No hidden caves. No nooks. Every time we stay put somewhere, the arena fights back.

[Brad nods in agreement.]

Viv: Nowhere is safe.

Everyone tenses at this reminder. They knew the second Blake entered the arena, she would be hunted down by several other people – children; they were all children. However, what they weren't expecting when this began was for the arena itself to be full of traps and horrific attempts to kill everyone inside.