Chapter 9

"Sprout!" Dude's voice suddenly cut through the void. Sprout blinked, not realising that he was crying. He looked over at Dude, signalling that he had his attention. "Take your time! Take a deep breath! Don't focus on your opponent or us! Just be yourself!"

Sprout blinked rapidly. He wiped at his eyes, clearing away his tears. He looked over at Dawn. She was sitting right there. There was a smug looking grin on her face. She actually believed that she was winning. And in a way, she was. She was already winning. Maybe he should give up...

NO!

Sprout suddenly got angry at himself. Before he could stop it, he slapped himself in the face. He shook his head a little, feeling more angry at himself. He can't keep doing that.

Snap out of it, Sprout! You've got this! You can prove everyone wrong! You just need the right prop to start off with.

Sprout looked around. He needs to get his foot back in the game right now! He looked at the props before him. Nothing seemed to be good enough for now. He glanced around again. He'll have to improvise for now in order to get a couple of laughs. He remembered that he still had his joy buzzer in his hand. He felt like his clothes were drying up surprisingly quick. He put it down to the stage lighting. So he could use the joy buzzer safely if he wanted to, but he felt like that wasn't enough. Then he spotted something at the side on the stage. It was wacky, even bonkers to think that it might work, but he had a good feeling about it.

"Now what's he doing?" Mimi asked as Sprout ran off stage. He didn't pay attention to that as he approached a lever. He suspected that it was connected to some of the systems on the stage. He took a deep breath as he slipped on the joy buzzer. This was stupid, but he might as well try to go out with a bang. He placed the joy buzzer on the lever and pushed it down. He let out a yell as he felt electricity race through him. He was catapulted back and skidded onto the stage.

"Sprout!" Candi shrieked. Mimi held onto her to offer comfort.

"Is he okay?!" Dude asked automatically. Bud tried to peer through the grey barrier a little more but he couldn't tell. Sprout laid there motionless. He was completely unconscious. Pip was ready to shout at Dawn to let someone check on him. Even Dawn seemed surprised by this sudden turn. She nearly declared victory when Sprout suddenly sat bolt right up.

"WOOOO! That was SHOCKING!" He grinned like a mad man. He was a little jittery and his hair had gone static.

"Sprout are you okay?" Candi asked.

"I'm fine! Just needed a little jolt for a jump start!" Sprout kept on grinning as he got to his feet.

That was more than a little jolt...

Everyone just looking even more shocked that Sprout had somehow walked away from whatever he did. All they head was a buzz and the lights flickering for a moment before Sprout was sprawled on his back. They didn't know what he did but he seemed to be alright from it. The shadow might not have facial features, but from the way that it was standing, it did seem cross. It even stamped its foot a little.

"Oh relax, Shadow Man! Here! Allow me to BRIGHTEN up your day!" Sprout grinned. He was either incredibly brave or stupid at this point. Just as he said that, he grabbed at the shadow. He ignored the freezing sensation as he moved to shake its hand. The shadow violently jolted as electricity ran through it. It even glowed a little as the joy buzzer rang out like a bell. Candi couldn't help but let out a giggle, which prompted Mimi to do the same. Bud, Dude and Pip started snickering. With that combined, Sprout's meter started to move. Sprout let go of the shadow, causing it to stumble backwards. It recovered as Sprout grabbed the small bag on his side. He peeked inside and got a good idea. He opened it as wide as he could and tipped it towards the shadow. The shadow charged at him, and Sprout spilled the contents on the stage.