Chapter 30

Artwork was done by me. I'm not a fan of how Dude's arms turned out but I'm still quite proud of this piece.

Thank you for the 600+ reads!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Dude tried to grab anything that could stop the pulling. However, the only thing that he did was scrape his nails on the ground. He could feel like his back was going to be bruised and lightly scratched, but that was nothing compared to the pressure around his neck. It wasn't just cold. It was so much more crueler than that. It was as if death itself was touching him. He couldn't get a fix on what it was. He tried pulling at it, just to give him some leeway to breathe. It was thin, but immensely strong, like a washing line or wire. He watched desperately as he spotted his friends running towards him, Rainbow ferociously leading the charge. Dude tried to reach out to them, but his body was lifted off of the ground. His legs hung limply as he continued to try pulling himself free. He didn't want to risk moving too much. His life was hanging by a thread, quite literally. It was best to not risk harming himself anymore. He felt a harsh cold hit him from behind. It wasn't a physical hit, but the temperature was more painful to him in comparison. He could hear breathing behind him. At the corner of his eye, he could see Dawn's hair hovering beside him. It was almost threatening to wrap tightly around him, to squeeze him until there was nothing left inside of him.

"I'm not done!" Dawn declared, rage rattling the building. The others stopped their charge immediately. "I killed the previous Skyline Gang! I'll kill you too! If I kill one, all of you will eventually go down with him!"

"We won your game! Let him go!" Pip protested, stamping her foot.

"One step, and I snap his neck!" Dawn sneered. Dude choked as the pressure around his neck constricted. Whatever air he somehow managed to inhale was forced out immediately. Rainbow started growling low and quiet. Candi trembled harshly, Sprout holding onto her to offer some kind of support. Pip's face was like a storm cloud, her body tensed up like a wind up toy about to be released. Mimi and Bud had an unhealthy blend of fear and anger on their faces.

"We...won..." Dude grunted with all the strength he had.

"Be silent!" Dawn spat. The shadow around Dude's neck became tighter. Dude automatically gasped, stealing whatever air his windpipe would allow.

"You said that you would let us go home!" Sprout stammered, pointing a shaking finger at the witch. Dawn sneered. However, it slowly turned into a smirk and a wailing cackle. It rocked everyone to their core. Dawn had taken such delight in the accusation that the shadow loosened a little for Dude to breathe somewhat better.

"Did you really believe a lie like that?!" Dawn cackled, making everyone flinch at her statement. A lie? "I made you play silly games so then you'd be the way you are now! Back before then, I couldn't even scratch you! That's because you weren't part of this world! It made you immune to my attacks somehow! Now that you're part of the Skyline, I can do what I originally intended! This will be much easier!"

So that was her end game?!

She did this on purpose. She must have wanted them to win. Or at least a few of them. She probably didn't expect all of them to win. Or maybe she did? It didn't matter right now! She lied about sending them home! She lied about them being safe from her! At least, at the beginning it was the truth. This witch knew what she was doing. She knew that once they won a challenge, they would be vulnerable to her. Just like how Dude was right now. And during the game, when she attacked the others. They didn't think about it then, but they shouldn't have been hurt from her attack. Now that they have, it started to make a little more sense. And what did she mean by"part of the Skyline"? Does that mean that they can't go home?! Why can she just make some sense already?!