Chapter 89

"Master Li, Master Zhang, where are you going?"

Since Jiang Jingyuan's memorial was handed over to the emperor, many officials gathered in groups as soon as they arrived at Xiamao, discussing something unknown.

Some people were confused at first, but today they couldn't bear it anymore, so they came to ask.

"Master Liu, you already know something about that memorial."

After everyone looked at each other, they asked somewhat angrily.

Because of this incident, the entire government and opposition parties are now united to an unprecedented degree, and the tensions between factions are no longer the same as in the past.

Mr. Liu's face was a little ugly. He had been an official for many years and finally made some small money last year. Now that he was asked to vomit it out, his heart ached like blood.

He shook his head angrily.

"We are here to discuss this matter. We are discussing with several adults to see if we can go to Mr. Jiang and ask if they can be accommodating and tell us the specific number."

All the adults were also dejected. They were asked to take out their savings at home, which was really heartbreaking. What was even more frightening was that they could not give too little, in case the emperor punished them, they would just have to walk around without money.

But they don't want to give too much.

Mr. Liu's eyes lit up and he felt that this method was very appropriate. They were not high-ranking officials like Mr. Shangshu. No matter there were more or less, the emperor still had to weigh them before he wanted to touch them.

"Let's go and pay a visit to Taifu Gu's house."

Everyone gathered a group of "like-minded" allies to go to the usually quiet residence of Taifu Gu. As a result, they saw Taifu Gu's house from a distance. It was already surrounded by officials of all sizes, all of whom came to pay a visit to Jiang Jingyuan.

It's a pity that the Gu Mansion didn't open the door until dark, making it clear that they didn't want to see guests. A group of officials came happily and returned disappointed.

The front door of Taifu Gu's Mansion has been like this for several days. There is a lot of traffic. If it were not too close to the root of the imperial city, unsuspecting people would want to come in and set up stalls to sell small things to support their families.

Seeing that the deadline set by the emperor was approaching, these people stopped hanging around in front of Taifu Gu's door and handed over most of their family's money.

The emperor, who had been in extremely poor health in recent years, seemed to be radiant these days, with a rosy complexion like a middle-aged man in his thirties or forties.

Is it possible to be unhappy counting money every day until your hands cramp?

"Reporting to your Majesty, the money collected so far has reached four million taels, which is even more than the three million taels calculated by Minister Jiang."

Eunuch Fu, who had been following the emperor, also had a happy face. He had not seen so much money in the palace for a long time. Seeing the emperor worrying about money all day long, he actually felt quite uncomfortable.

Now that there is money, some of the emperor's plans can be carried out.

"The money will leave 300,000 taels for the daily expenses of the palace. The rest should be given to the Ministry of Household Affairs. Let them come up with a plan within three days and strive to pay all the military pay owed over the years at once. Qi, we need two sets of summer clothes and two sets of winter clothes per person, and we also need to change our armor and weapons."