-Chapter 11: Training-

I run onto the bright field as I hear the chatter and shouts from the players of OL. As I do, I hear Sonia call to attention as everyone turns to look at her. I see her gesture for me to walk to her, so I do, ignoring the eyes that follow me as I stand next to the coach.

She says some things in French to them, which I can't understand. I assume she introduces me because the team claps and cheers before Sonia turns to me. "Welcome to the team." She says. "You will need some French lessons." She adds, making the team laugh. The team comes up to me one by one, welcoming me and giving me high fives, hugs, hand shakes, the works. They all say it in English, which I'm grateful for.

As I turn away from Captain Wendie Renard, I come face to face with Danielle Van De Donk. She smiles, holding her hand out to me. "Welcome to the team, Y/N. It's nice to hear another Aussie accent around here." She says, laughing as I take her hand. "Nice to meet you, Danielle." I say. "Call me Daan." She says, winking before stepping away. As I turn again, this time, I'm met with a bone crushing hug from who I already know, is Ellie. "It happened! You're on the team!" She says. "Temporarily." I correct her. "Temporarily." She says.

She steps away, glancing at my outfit before grinning. "You look good in our colours." She says, noting the jersey I'm wearing. "To be honest, you look good in anything." She says, laughing. "So, number 2, huh?" She asks. I shrug. "Didn't want to stray from my Matildas number.." I say. She laughs, nodding. "You get me. That's why I chose 12. It's just my number...but backwards." She says, grinning.

Soon, a whistle blows and our attention is pulled to Sonia. "We're doing small games today. Wendie and Ellie, you're the captains."

Ellie walks forward, facing the rest of us as Wendie picks her teammate. Ellie's eyes scan over us before she chuckles. "Y/N." She says. I stand, walking next to her before she smirks. "You guys haven't seen what this girl can do." She notes, hugging me from the side. I laugh, hugging her back as I let my eyes roam the team.

That's when I notice Daan's eyes on us, emotionless but staring. Once she notices me looking at her, however, she looks away. I feel a pit of nervousness fill my stomach as I turn to look at Ellie. I don't know what that look was for, but I know I don't want Daan to dislike me. I mean, she's DVD. She has many fans and I, well, I don't. I'm the newbie.

Not long later, the game is in full swing with our team leading. Ellie steals the ball from an attacking Daan, passing it towards me as I spin, dribbling the ball towards the goal. I quickly turn my head, spotting someone wearing the yellow bibs that Ellie's team wears and I pass the ball to her just before I feel myself get pushed harshly, landing on the ground.

We score, but I sit there, slightly dazed and blinking. Ellie runs up to me, crouching down to my level and putting a hand on my arm. "Y/N? Hey, are you ok?" She asks, concern lacing her features. I blink at her, my mouth catching up to my head as I nod. "Yeah, I'm good." I say, standing up with Ellie's help. I look around to see the other players all watching us, furrowed eyebrows in worry. "I'm good." I say louder, smiling at Ellie. "Thanks." I add.

The game continues, the other team scoring a goal and lots of passing, stealing and dribbling. I'm standing in the middle of the field, watching as Ellie steals the ball from someone and sends a long kick from the corner to me. I receive it, immediately sprinting towards the goal with the ball at my feet. There are barely any defenders around me so I line up a shot, rear my foot back and send the ball flying directly into the top right corner of the net.

I cheer loudly as my team all run over, hugging me and clasping hands as Ellie grins at me. "That's right. Show the team your skills." She sys, pulling me into a hug. I wrap my arms around her tightly, hugging her back and burying my face into the crook of her neck. "Thanks, Els." I mutter.